View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
mammamlr

Default '96 318ti Sensors not being read after reset

Hello, I have a a 1996 318ti which I have owned since '98. I have always just taken it to the shop, but now that is cost prohibitive. I recently had the wiring harness and sparc plugs replaced, and a couple other things that I can not recall right now, but when we went to get it inspected, there was another fault code related to the same area. The shop replaced what that problem was, but now, the computer will not reset the sensor readings. It just says 'Sensor not Ready', and no one will give us an inspection sticker without those sensors being read. (The car runs great and otherwise passes inpection, but they will not allow the sensor not ready message for more than two sensors, I think)The shop drove the car around with the tool they read the fault codes with, reset the computer while driving multiple times, and each time it woudl being the process of reading the sensors, then just stop. The shop told me that I needed to replace the computer. I am now trying to find the part I need, and when searched, I found there can be 11 button or 18 button computers. How do I find out which one my car has, and is there a place to get instructions for replacing it? This car is my son's now, and he leaves for Army boot camp in August. We really just need to get it inspected so he can use it until then.

Thank you so much for any assistance!

Michelle
mammamlr is offline   Reply With Quote