View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 04:58 AM   #13
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

btonns, since you plan on eventually doing a motor swap with whichever ti you get, I'd advise looking for a sport or active model. Anything with decent mileage and a 5 speed of course. If you're into the Mtechnik thing, get a sport, otherwise a tastefully-tricked base or active would be nice. The ClubSports are good for what they are, but when you start swapping parts they lose their value. Regular Ti's can be had for cheaper anyway.

Unless you get a '99 Ti with super low miles, insurance companies will rarely give you what you put into it. They don't share the passion that we do, instead they just crunch numbers. These are cheap cars to begin with, about 5k average. So everytime you put money into it, you'll never see it again.

A set of wheels and tires will set you back a grand, suspension another grand, exhaust 5 hund, HIDs 3 bills, motor swap 2-5g's, SC 3-4 grand and so on. Before you know it, you'll have as much as the value of the car invested and when it comes time to file an insurance claim or sell the car, you won't get it back.

I purchased my '97 with 130k and a new motor from the original owner in 2006 for $4150. You've been extremely patient, the deals are out there and it really helps if you're willing to travel. Whatever route you take, I wish you the very best of luck and hope to see you behind the wheel of one of these great cars shortly!