View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
larryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthBimmer View Post
Nice new set up larryn! Any inputs from today's BMW auto-x?
Well, it was pretty night and day, but I still need to dial it in. TC Kline had suggested to me that I put it at near full stiff in the rear, and about 1/2 stiff in front, which I started out with.

That's obvioulsy the WRONG setting, after driving it on an autocross course, as the rear behaved pretty badly, and felt like I was lifting a rear tire.

The class I'm in (BMW CCA AS Class) doesn't allow me to have a stripped interior, so I had to put all the rear trim back in order. Because of the CD Changer, it takes probably 20+ minutes to give me access to the top of the dampers in order to adjust them, and another 20 mins to put it back together (since I have to have the trim back in to remain in AS).

Basically, I had no time to be able to do that.

That being said, the car was better than the old suspension, by probaby 1.5-2 seconds a run. If you've ever autocrossed, that's a whole lotta time. I was about 4.5 seconds off of fastest time of the day, which is unbelievable, since I'm running street tires. The FTD was set by a gutted e30 325i, with 285 hoosiers all around, driven by a national champ.

I think I can shave another full second off of my times, by doing some changes. Next week I have a Test & Tune event, that will allow me to have a stripped interior and tweak the suspension. Before then, I need to source a much fatter front swaybar than the M3 one I have. I need to get the front stiffer, and the rear of the car softer. After that, I think corner weighting and I'm done for now. The car is pretty beastly now, and I know it can be tweaked to make it even moreso.

One last thing, I need to get rid of some negative camber up front. After checking yesterday, I was at about -3.6 degrees, which I think is just too much by probably .75 of a degree.
larryn is offline   Reply With Quote