Thread: Next Car????
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
col.hapablap

i dunno, ever since the anti-suv mazda mp5 became a mainstream hit, 5-dr touring styles have gotten more acceptable here, so i wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of a bmw hatch return in the u.s. what used to be a small niche (vw, subaru, volvo, eg/ek buyers) grew in size to sustain things like the mp5, toyota matrix, all euro compact hatchbacks and touring cars, all those dodge magnums, countless focus wagons and hatchbacks, bla bla...

i know bmw is still a lil p*ssy hurt from the pisspoor 318ti sales in the 90s, but they should know that if there ever was a good time to bring a compact hatch over to the u.s., it's now.

it seems the rear seats in the 5-dr 1er are pretty damn cramped from everything i've read. why not just bring the 3-dr over along w/ the coupe and call it a day? the 118d 1.8 diesel (63 mpg), 118i 2.0 petrol (38mpg), and 130i 3.0 petrol (265hp, 34mpg). the ti was like an e30 tribute, the new 1er coupe is definitely a nod to the e30s, and this would wrap all that up into a nice ti/e30 tribute.

col.hapablap is offline   Reply With Quote