View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #40
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastade View Post
I don't think we will see a 4 cyl. or a hatch from BMW again, or at least not for a long time. BMW bought Mini for that reason. Mini is their introductory brand that offers 4 cylinders, light weight, and fun. If you want more mature you buy a BMW. I would consider a 1 series coupe as it is very nice looking, but prefer the hatch.
Why the perception in this country that a sedan or coupe is more mature than a hatchback, but a wagon is too mature? A hatchback is just a lightweight SUV. I think there's plenty of room in the US market between the Mini and the X3 for something like a Subaru Outback, or smaller like a 1er hatch.

Anyhow. . .I'm turned off by the whole 1er thing now that it is obvious that the 1er is just a replacement for the niche that used to be occupied by the 3er, now that the 3er is fatter, and, if they manage to squeeze any out, BMW won't be bringing any sub-3000 lb cars to the US. . .with the possible exception of an M1/M2, the lightweight 250hp turbo 4 cylinder we've been hearing rumors about, but it would probably cost ~$45k, so they wouldn't bring that to the US because nobody would buy it, including me.

All this jizz about how BMW cares so much for the environment, and they won't sell a car that weighs less than 3000 lbs in the country that burns most of the gasoline in the world. I don't care how efficient the motor is; if the car were lighter, it would be that much more efficient.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote