318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Maintenance (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ball joint replacement (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42450)

Pier 04-06-2016 02:13 PM

Ball joint replacement

One of my outer ball joints is broken and thus needs replacement, i'm looking to buy a tool to do this.

Should i go with a pickle fork or a ball joint separator, and what size do i need?

I'm reluctant to go with a pickle fork as i've read some posts with people suffering with this tool, and it's not that much cheaper than a separator.

I'm currently looking at this ball joint separator (22mm hole, 62mm opening):

http://www.trailerandtools.nl/kogelg...r-stuurko.html

As for the ball joints themselves, I was planning on buying MEYLE HD, is this a good choice or should i just go with the cheaper ones?

Also, are the inner ball joints also removable? because it seems you can buy them but many sites mention they are not removable...

Any comments are appreciated, thanks.

joe1602 04-06-2016 02:35 PM

Pier, I just bought a pair of control arms & bushings (Meyle HD control arms with solid ball joints and powerflex bushings) A little more expensive but then you don't need the special tools to remove the ball joints. Just a thought.

bazar01 04-06-2016 03:54 PM

+1

Easier to pull out and install a new control arm than just replacing the two ball joints.

Pier 04-06-2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1602 (Post 379942)
Pier, I just bought a pair of control arms & bushings (Meyle HD control arms with solid ball joints and powerflex bushings) A little more expensive but then you don't need the special tools to remove the ball joints. Just a thought.

Hey Joe, thanks for your insight.

At first, i planned to do what you say but then the guy at the yearly car checkup told me it was fine just replacing both outer ball joints (and cheaper).

My way of thinking was that since both the ball joints and bushings are made of rubber and probably have the same age/wear it's better to replace them all at once to have an even ride.

The problem with this way of thinking is i can keep going and also replace the stabilizer links, tie rods, rear bushings etc which will set me back maybe 400 EU.

But then again, the car is almost 21 years old so maybe it's time she's had an overhaul.

I guess i'll get a control arm set and go from there.

joe1602 04-06-2016 06:56 PM

Pier, I think that is the best way to go. You have to take the whole control arm out anyway to change the ball joint, so might as well change the whole control arm with the new ball joints already installed. You may need a pickle bar to pop off the front of the arm under the strut, but other than that, its pretty straightforward. I would also change the control arm bushings while your at it. I am doing mine next weekend so I will let you know how it goes.

Pier 04-10-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1602 (Post 379951)
Pier, I think that is the best way to go. You have to take the whole control arm out anyway to change the ball joint, so might as well change the whole control arm with the new ball joints already installed. You may need a pickle bar to pop off the front of the arm under the strut, but other than that, its pretty straightforward. I would also change the control arm bushings while your at it. I am doing mine next weekend so I will let you know how it goes.

I've ordered the control arms + bushings, they should arrive somewhere next week.

Since the front tyres had cracked sidewalls i've also ordered 4 new tyres (Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 185/65 R15 88H), at EUR 60 / piece they'd better be sticky like glue.

I hope you have an easy time replacing your control arms, gl & hf!

pdxmotorhead 04-10-2016 06:56 PM

Once you have them out side by side you'll be glad you bought the assemblies. Good Luck!