318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Electric Fan w/ 6 cylinder swap (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18361)

jiggerjosh 09-26-2007 02:18 AM

Electric Fan w/ 6 cylinder swap

I was wondering if and how people were using there stock Ti electric fans with the six cylinder radiator. Any noticeable heat increase without the engines fan? The donor vehicle i got had no engine fan do to a front end collision and was wondering if i could get away without it and a bottle of water wetter.

mohaughn 09-26-2007 03:17 AM

Running without the engine driven fan is common on 325 and 328's, usually not in Florida though... The Ti radiator with the electric fan may be enough to do it, but I would be worried about over all capacity. So see if you can find out what the capacity of the Ti radiator is compared to a 32x radiator.

The best solution would probably be to buy an aftermarket radiator with an electric fan attached to it that was made for a 32x. Zionsville, turner, BW, etc.. have them.

jiggerjosh 09-26-2007 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohaughn (Post 135928)
Running without the engine driven fan is common on 325 and 328's, usually not in Florida though... The Ti radiator with the electric fan may be enough to do it, but I would be worried about over all capacity. So see if you can find out what the capacity of the Ti radiator is compared to a 32x radiator.

The best solution would probably be to buy an aftermarket radiator with an electric fan attached to it that was made for a 32x. Zionsville, turner, BW, etc.. have them.

Ive got the six cylinder radiator, but not the six cylinder fan. I was wonder if these two were compatible at all.

nineball12 09-26-2007 07:34 PM

i don't have a fan on mine, and i'm in cali. Just make sure you're coolant system is bled well, and run some water wetter or something.

mohaughn 09-26-2007 07:50 PM

Isn't the bay area northern California? There is a major difference in temperature between San. Fran and LA. During the summer months it is very common to be at or over 100 degrees every day in South Florida, I would not like to be sitting in I75 traffic in the middle of summer without a radiator fan in my car.

You should be able to see if the fan will clip onto the radiator. In terms of compatibility, if it fits, it will work. A fan is a fan. You could either wire it up so that it is always on, wire it to the thermostat so that it comes on at certain engine temps, or give yourself some kind of switch inside to the car to wire it to, this is common on track cars where they only use the fan when sitting on the grid to start, or sitting in the pits/paddocks.

campaiar 09-26-2007 08:50 PM

The stock fan and shroud is just way too thick to fit with the 6-cyl in place. Once you get the 6 in, you'll see that there is no room for any else but the stock fan. I believe some M3s came with stock electric fans that sit in front of the radiator, not behind. This would be the best electric fan option, and should hook into your existing electric fan plug.

I tried the famous "fan-delete" mod where you put a lower temp thermostat and Water Wetter in the car and I can tell you that it didn't work for me in Cincinnati. It started to overheated when the car was sitting still everytime. The hotter it was outside, the quicker the gauge climbed. And forget trying to use the a/c without a fan, it just won't work well at all.

Having received the stock 6-cyl fan and fan clutch with my engine swap parts, I installed it onto the water pump and haven't had a problem since. Quite honestly, I think the mod is overrated. I can't really "feel" the fan impacting the 2.5's performance at all.

jiggerjosh 09-26-2007 09:00 PM

Sounds like I may need to buy the fan, I thought i remember a post were someone stuck the stock 318 fan in front of the radiator, just flipped it around or something but i fail to see how that is plausible.

campaiar 09-26-2007 09:05 PM

I suppose that is plausable. I sold my fan and radiator as a set after the swap, since I had the stock 6-cyl fan. I drove without it for 7 months without any issues until temperatures outside reached 80.

Its just not worth the risk of head damage over a 1/2 hp fan delete mod.

nineball12 09-26-2007 09:13 PM

get something like this:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku