318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Looking For A German Word For License Plate (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28932)

MacUser 12-14-2009 05:12 AM

Looking For A German Word For License Plate

It looks like the part for mounting a front license plate that I bought from Tischer would accommodate a long Euro plate. I was thinking about a German plate, but the only German words I can think are "BRATWURST" and "MEIN KAMPF".

Got any better ideas?

Where did you buy yours? I've looked at licenseplates.tv, it seems to be pretty good ... has anyone tried them?

http://bmw318ti.info/MK.jpg

http://bmw318ti.info/BW.jpg

tiFreak 12-14-2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacUser (Post 254289)

that'll get you keyed :lol:

how about "SAURKRAUT" or "EUROTRASH," another option is just a regular plate with the Munich city code, get this one with the Bavaria state decal and then enter the letters like this:

the "M" (Munich city code) followed by the reg. stickers, 2 letters and 4 numbers
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1252/...bb7731.jpg?v=0

MacUser 12-14-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 254292)
that'll get you keyed :lol:

Thus, this post! I'm not big on political correctness, but even I have my limits. I'd like something more socially acceptable. In the small town I live in, I suspect very few would understand this reference ... probably only skinheads. But anytime I ventured into the "big city", heaven help me!

"SAURKRAUT" and "EUROTRASH" are should be non-"key" words.

What about "LUFTWAFFE"? It still references what Germany is most famous for, but sidesteps the whole "genocide" thing. I'm not aware of any war atrocities of the German air force, other than acts of war. Plus, IIRC, BMW made engines for the Luftwaffe.

b.u.ti-ful 12-14-2009 03:07 PM

Nummernschild

DGWGuitars 12-14-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacUser (Post 254307)
Thus, this post! I'm not big on political correctness, but even I have my limits. I'd like something more socially acceptable. In the small town I live in, I suspect very few would understand this reference ... probably only skinheads. But anytime I ventured into the "big city", heaven help me!

"SAURKRAUT" and "EUROTRASH" are should be non-"key" words.

What about "LUFTWAFFE"? It still references what Germany is most famous for, but sidesteps the whole "genocide" thing. I'm not aware of any war atrocities of the German air force, other than acts of war. Plus, IIRC, BMW made engines for the Luftwaffe.

You've got to be kidding about Luftwaffe. I'd also suggest that you'd check with anyone you know that's Jewish (or anyone who has half a brain, for that matter) to see if they consider genocide a "thing".

tiFreak 12-15-2009 12:57 AM

BMW did make engines for the Luftwaffe, as well as motorcycles from the ground troops, but just to be on the safe side I'd stay away from anything referencing WWII Germany

MacUser 12-15-2009 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 254373)
... just to be on the safe side I'd stay away from anything referencing WWII Germany

In general, that's a good rule of thumb. Luftwaffe seems harmless enough in the USA. I wouldn't display it around London (or any other city they bombed). I'm sure their must be a few US WWII vets around who can remember their bombings, though.

So ...

SAFE:
- BRATWURST
- EUROTRASH
- SAUERKRAUT (probably too long)

POSSIBLY UNSAFE/POSSIBLY OFFENSIVE
- LUFTWAFFE

HIGH PROBABILITY OF BEING UNSAFE/OFFENSIVE:
- MEINKAMPF
- 3RDREICH

Right now, I'm leaning toward LUFTWAFFE. It's a wonderful-sounding word ... and fun to say.

Why did Japan's image get off so light after WWII? They had their war atrocities ... Pearl Harbor, Bataan Death March to name a few, but people still put Japanese battle flag decals on their ricers.

tiFreak 12-15-2009 04:15 AM

might be that the Nazis systematically killed so many people, and it might be American guilt over the internment camps, probably a combination of both

MacUser 12-15-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 254398)
might be that the Nazis systematically killed so many people, and it might be American guilt over the internment camps, probably a combination of both

I think it's because Americans think German = Nazi. I wonder if there is more guilt about Nagasaki/Hiroshima.

Do people think Luftwaffe = Schutzstaffel? I think Luftwaffe is German, but Schutzstaffel is Nazi.

budget76 12-15-2009 05:07 AM

FWIW I think the idea is played out. Words as lic plates got old to me a while ago. Screen names/nicknames still works IMO, but that's getting popular on BF.C too. Helps ID people and their cars though. Just my .02 though:wink:

I got mine from a guy on ebay for <$20 shipped with the frame, and it looks great, ESP compared with the US plate. In NJ we're required to have a front plate, so I got my US letters/numbers as the plate. Keeps it somewhat legal and the cops happy.

roadrash 12-15-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.u.ti-ful (Post 254309)
Nummernschild

+1
I was thinking of that and finally did the translation only to find out that you'd already suggested it. heh heh

cooljess76 12-15-2009 07:27 PM

318ti.orgenschlitzen:biggrin:

sutobe 12-17-2009 06:22 PM

Luftwaffe can't be offensive because we still have the Luftwaffe.

And please leave the stereotypes and Nazi stuff away, I'm sick of it, I'm not putting "fat, dumb and loud"-stickers on my Xbox 360 either just because its American ;-)

How about "Heckschaden"?

it means "rear end damage" and is relating to the short rear of the Compacts.......lots of people here say that the Compact looks like a sedan that got rear ended.

I think that's more funny, not as offensive and makes sense somehow

b.u.ti-ful 12-17-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sutobe (Post 254665)
I'm not putting "fat, dumb and loud"-stickers on my Xbox 360 either just because its American ;-)

I WOULD COME UP WITH A SNAPPY ANSWER TO THAT BUT I JUST ATE A BIG MEAL AND NOT THINKING GOODLY!!!!!!!!!!

MPWR 12-17-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sutobe (Post 254665)
I'm not putting "fat, dumb and loud"-stickers on my Xbox 360 either just because its American ;-)

I think if you look you won't find a "Made in USA" marking on your Xbox. We don't really make much of anything here anymore (except debt?).

I'd be curious if you have anything in your home that was actually made in the US- other than maybe software or movies.