318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Maintenance (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Needed new window regulator AGAIN! Why? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38624)

djcamera 06-14-2013 02:41 AM

Needed new window regulator AGAIN! Why?

Hi from Atlanta. I'm the original owner of my 1998, got it new in Germany. I just had to replace my driver's side window regulator for the third time. Through the years, the glass has popped off-track several times. It goes "CRACK", then there's a sickening glass/metal grinding sound, and if I'm lucky, the glass doesn't fall down into the door. I can grab it, jam it with two hands back into the track, and fiddle with the control button until the regulator catches and holds it. Always one of the regulator "scissor arms" is bent. I've had fix-it guys force the bent part straight, replace the fuzzy tracks, use a different type of grease, and sometimes just replace the whole damn regulator.

Just a few days ago, it happened again, and I coughed up $450 for this car's THIRD regulator replacement. Everything about this car is tip-top, but the DAMN WINDOW won't behave!

So, hit me with some wisdom: what makes these regulators bend so often and apparently so easily? (Only the driver's side is a problem) I'm not Crazy Window Guy, I just use it normally. And the part cost about $110, the labor $340. Seem high to you?

Thanks.
DJ

spidertri 06-14-2013 03:40 AM

I followed this guide 4 years ago, my windows are still working great.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20666

hotmilk400 06-15-2013 03:26 PM

its likely that the rails the window slide on are bent and they are not fixing them.

killergopher 07-25-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotmilk400 (Post 350449)
its likely that the rails the window slide on are bent and they are not fixing them.

Are you talking about the rails attached to the door it self? Not the regulator but the rails inside of the door.

teetime4one 07-25-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killergopher (Post 351893)
Are you talking about the rails attached to the door it self? Not the regulator but the rails inside of the door.

Yes. They need adjusted as well. By adjusted, I mean bent by hand either one way or the other. I had to twist both of mine in order to get it right.

killergopher 07-26-2013 03:26 AM

Can you just buy new inner rails and replace them?

cooljess76 07-26-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killergopher (Post 351928)
Can you just buy new inner rails and replace them?

won't work, they still need to be aligned properly.

killergopher 07-26-2013 06:49 AM

So just start bending and twisting until you think you might have it working right, lol love it....

Billy 09-08-2013 06:47 AM

Both my windows have fallen down so many times the mechanic has jammed them shut. Says the only way to fix them is to replace the entire door. If there's something I can do to get them working again I'd be in heaven as I'm more of window air guy than an A/C air guy. Guess I'll start taking the panels off myself...

1996 328ti 09-08-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy (Post 353585)
Both my windows have fallen down so many times the mechanic has jammed them shut. Says the only way to fix them is to replace the entire door. If there's something I can do to get them working again I'd be in heaven as I'm more of window air guy than an A/C air guy. Guess I'll start taking the panels off myself...

If the regulator is beyond repair, it just needs to be replaced.

Find a new mechanic. Sounds like he's a a hack.
I'd question how he does other repairs that he really doesn't know how to fix.

I replaced my regulator and the window is now fine.

pdxmotorhead 09-08-2013 06:13 PM

Your already paying the same price a dealer would charge to do it,, if you had the dealer do it it comes with a warrantee.. Just a thought..

Dave

Billy 09-08-2013 06:20 PM

Hey! Where'd that link in my message come from? I def didn't add that. Pretty creepy.

Anyway, I saw the lengthy thread about the problem, so I'll take the panel off and take a look at what's up. My hunch is the regulator is fine, the window channels are broken. If that's the case I'll have to see if someone can help me find a way to mount them. Dealership said the same thing about replacing the doors a few years ago.

1996 328ti 09-09-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy (Post 353601)
Hey! Where'd that link in my message come from? I def didn't add that. Pretty creepy.

The link is sometimes added to generate a little revenue for the site.

The window channels are pretty strong.
I don't see how they could bend.
They do get caked with grease though.

pdxmotorhead 09-09-2013 01:54 AM

Mine have bent.. It seems to happen when the auto close in the up direction happens in conjunction with the mechanism going tango uniform..

I've found silicone spray seems to help the tracks a bit, I cleaned them with hot water and simple green, then let them dry then soaked them in silicone. Probably ruins hte rubber eventually but They were too stiff to let the window move.

Dave

1988Spudftw 09-15-2013 02:12 AM

I had the same problem with me driver side window, The window majestically got on the wrong side of the window channels wile it was going up and broke both plastic regulator clips and twisted the arms on the regulator itself. On top of that being fun when it broke i was trying to roll the window because it started raining.

I ordered the new clips and getting the window back into the guides was a puzzle but the arms were so bent every time i tried to roll it back up it would pull apart the clips, but eventually i got all the geometry right and it finally rolled up and its never came back down.lol I used white lithium spray grease so the new clips wouldn't stick