318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Knowledge Base (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   PERMANENT WINDOW FIX***DIY*** (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20666)

Bozola 01-19-2009 02:12 AM

Cooljess is my NEW hero!!!

Did both windows in a few hours..
________
Ford Taunus V4 engine

cooljess76 01-19-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozola (Post 212377)
Cooljess is my NEW hero!!!

Did both windows in a few hours..

Sweet! Glad everything worked out for ya:wink:

bobvilas 04-02-2009 01:37 AM

Used your write-up this week to fix my drivers side window. Went just as you described. Not sure if I'm more stoked about the rattle being gone or the window working properly! I'll keep you posted on how long it "stays" good. Thanks for putting in the time and sharing the knowledge man.

cooljess76 04-02-2009 01:44 AM

No worries. I just fixed a friends M3/4 window a couple days ago. It's a little different than ours, but unfortunately I couldn't get it perfect since he used aftermarket parts. Glad everything worked out for ya, hope it lasts another 10 years without issues:wink:

doc66 04-05-2009 10:06 AM

I didn't know this place existed. Im new to this and I've had the same problem on both windows of my 98 ti. Unfortunately, ive gone to a couple of shops already and to no avail- I still have the problem. CoolJess, thanks so much for putting this up. Im not too mechanically inclined. Im in Northern California- was wondering if you or anyone else on here is in my area (San Francisco Bay Area) who would be willing to help me do this or even point me to a reputable shop who has done this on Ti's- it would be greatly appreciated. Its been over 3 years since I've been able to drive with the window down. Im tired of driving with the sunroof open. :confused:

Thanks in Advance.
:biggrin:

TiZen 04-15-2009 09:12 PM

Gorilla glue worked for me, when I was rebuilding the door panel.
but i`ll try weld next time, some of them did come off which sucked.

b.u.ti-ful 04-15-2009 09:15 PM

I used clear epoxy and it's holding very well.

sokat1989 04-28-2009 10:48 PM

I really want to do this soon because both of my windows are in need, they are completely dysfunctional and stuck all the way up and summer is here. I've just been waiting for those pics to help me out. Still waiting on those so whenever you get time those would be really helpful. Thanks again jess.

cooljess76 04-29-2009 12:23 AM

sorry sokat, haven't had my door panels off since the "fix". I did a friend's e36 M3 sedan a few weeks back, but it looked a little different in there. I think Steven posted a link somewhere in this thread that had pics, but honestly it will probably be a while before I'm able to take mine apart again. I hurt my back the other day and I'm resting up. If you want, PM me your phone number and I'll walk you through it..

sokat1989 04-30-2009 05:09 AM

Thanks but I think ill be able to figure it out; its just that I think the last time I had my door panel off to temporary close the windows until I could fix them later, I noticed that when I pushed the ball on one of the regulator arms into the socket in the slider thing, it kept coming out. I think it may be broken so i was thinking of just getting all new sliders for both doors along with the metal clips. What do you think? Is my evaluation correct? and if yes should I get them from the local dealership or is there a better deal online somewhere?

budget76 04-30-2009 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokat1989 (Post 227188)
Thanks but I think ill be able to figure it out; its just that I think the last time I had my door panel off to temporary close the windows until I could fix them later, I noticed that when I pushed the ball on one of the regulator arms into the socket in the slider thing, it kept coming out. I think it may be broken so i was thinking of just getting all new sliders for both doors along with the metal clips. What do you think? Is my evaluation correct? and if yes should I get them from the local dealership or is there a better deal online somewhere?

If they keep popping out those plastic sliders are broken, happened to me before the grease froze and the arm bent on the passenger side. I picked up 4 new ones with the metal clips on ebay for <20 shipped

cooljess76 04-30-2009 12:54 PM

Are the metal clips in place over the sliders? Sometimes they pop off and fall into the door.

sokat1989 05-01-2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 227229)
Are the metal clips in place over the sliders? Sometimes they pop off and fall into the door.

should the ball still pop out of the socket without the clips being there?
I think I probably have all the clips but my main worry is that just one of the sockets in the slider may be broken.

cooljess76 05-01-2009 05:27 AM

The clip definitely helps keep it in place, but the ball can still pop out even if the clip is installed. It has to, otherwise it would be ultimate destruction

sokat1989 05-01-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 227361)
The clip definitely helps keep it in place, but the ball can still pop out even if the clip is installed. It has to, otherwise it would be ultimate destruction

lol what I should have said is that the ball doesn't stay in the socket unless you hold it there. In other words its completely loose which is why I think the socket may be broken. Can the slider pieces be had at the dealership or am I just doing it wrong and its not broken so I should use the same one?