318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   water in fuel tank..HELP (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32694)

ssprint 02-05-2011 10:31 PM

water in fuel tank..HELP

ok so i bought a $20 93 octane gas around 6 gallon. i keep the car running while the attendant was filling gas, then suddenly my car just died. totally stop running. i tried to start it several time but with no avail the car won't start. it turns out i was not the only one who got stuck. there was one 2002 toyota suv ahead of me that just bought the same 93 octane gas and after the attendant pump the gas the car won't start. Long story short the station pump mix water in our car. i had my car towed to a nissan shop since there were no bmw near the area and my friend works there too. the tank was drained and fuel injectors were cleaned. the car was running fine when i left the shop but after 5 miles driving it. the car started to stall like there weren't gas going into the engine. i bought another 5 gallons thinking it will fix the issue. on the way home from work that car started to really run bad at one point the check engine lid up but no code. i put some seaform and water remover. it worked for a couple of days but it started again after i got another fill up. i was told that it could be my fuel pump gone bad. my car is a 5/95 318ti. will it fix the issue by replacing the fuel pump and filter?

1996 328ti 02-05-2011 10:36 PM

I think I'd be consulting a lawyer.

tiFreak 02-05-2011 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996 328ti (Post 291686)
I think I'd be consulting a lawyer.

same here, you're probably looking at a pretty expensive repair, I wouldn't want that coming out of my pocket

ssprint 02-06-2011 12:15 AM

thanks for the advised but right now my focus is to fix the car. do you think it damage my engine or my fuel pump?

1996 328ti 02-06-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssprint (Post 291691)
thanks for the advised but right now my focus is to fix the car. do you think it damage my engine or my fuel pump?

I don't know about the fuel pump, but I'd be concerned with entire fuel system. From fuel tank to injectors.

It's not that uncommon to have water in the gas tank, but generally it is at the very bottom. <I think>
Maybe you need some octane boost?

John_in_VA 02-06-2011 12:48 AM

Gas line additives containing isopropyl alcohol will allow the water and gas to be miscible (combine) to be (hopefully) burned. This can clear the water from the system.
As Steven stated, there can be a problem with any part of the fuel system. Let's hope the gas station will admit guilt/negligence and pay for the repairs, and you can find a shop familiar with the ti to get this checked/resolved.

Mopho 02-06-2011 02:18 AM

Hope you got the name / number for the other car that got bad gas.
Happened to me one time, borrowed (of course, couldn't happen to my own car) father inlaws big Chrysler New Yorker for a family trip at Christmas, was up in the mountains and got a bunch of water with a fillup. I was able to sway the car around to make it home (hoping the cops didn't stop me for swerving) then had to pull the gas tank and flush it.
Changed the filters, fuel pump and blew out the gas lines, changed all the rubber hoses (some blew off) and then it was OK.
Sucks, man. Good luck.

pdxmotorhead 02-06-2011 02:58 AM

Change the filter, and pull the fuel strainer screen in the tank. Both are maybe water saturated. Also don't add too much alcohol based stuff if your already pumping in E10 fuel. The E10 will clear the fuel. I'd add some alcohol fuel stabilizer, that will help the fuel emulsify the water.

Dave

ssprint 02-06-2011 02:00 PM

The tank was pulled out, drained and dried before putting it back. i checked the fuel pump and it seems to be working fine. i removed the back seat and start the engine and i can hear the pump working. i read about error code list and tried the steps several times but the computer didn't show any error code. although it flashes the engine check several times.

Junk 02-06-2011 05:03 PM

definately try changing the filter, that could be holding some water in there. Did you count the flashes on the check engine light? If it is flashing, it is probably flashing the code. But it sounds like it will be due to the water so probably o2 values off or misfire etc.