318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Reply quick! Need help before I buy! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27887)

BahnBurnerE36 08-26-2009 03:24 AM

Reply quick! Need help before I buy!

As you may have read in my intro, I am new to the site and just got my ti last week. I love it and just got done doing a full tune-up on it. Unfortunately I rear ended someone the other night at a car meet and basically totaled it. It's still drivable and I intend to keep it: I'm not giving up on this thing.

My front end (body wise) is obliterated. And I am buying headlights tonight. The black housing projectors I had prior to the wreck had a gap between the corner and the fender - I assume it's because they were for a coupe.

I have been lectured a few times that the fodo E36 models and the ti are EXACTLY the same firewall forward. But I wanted to check one last time before I spend $90 on headlights. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-98...Q5fAccessories

Will they fit? If you don't like them, I honestly don't care. Don't bother flaming, I think they will look good. So when they're on and I put pics up, then you can give you constructive criticism. Just need your input on if they will fit properly!

Thanks,
Jake

tiFreak 08-26-2009 03:27 AM

they will fit, good luck getting your ti back together

BahnBurnerE36 08-26-2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 242256)
they will fit, good luck getting your ti back together

Thanks man! I'll put pics up in my gallery in a few ;)

cooljess76 08-26-2009 04:18 AM

You can see how sh!tty they look on the e36 pictured in the ebay listing. They don't fit on any BMW IMO, look like they belong on a Honda:rolleyes:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...bayGarbage.jpg

BahnBurnerE36 08-26-2009 03:00 PM

that's definitely a matter of opinion considering this is my first car that isn't a honda. anything other than factory headlights/taillights on a honda make me puke. and i didn't end up getting those anyway cause the item had expired. i got some less "chromy"

cooljess76 08-26-2009 06:23 PM

Correct, it is a matter of opinion. That's why I said "IMO"(in my opinion). Same as your comment "anything other than factory HL/TL on a Honda make you puke", is exactly how most BMW enthusiasts feel about BMW's. Why would you want to deface the looks of a Bimmer with some ebay ricer garbage? There's plenty of OEM looking headlights such as Depo's that are very affordable and look great. Sooo many kids buy these cars and immediately feel like they have to be different and make their 318ti stand out. Unfortunately they put ridiculous and cheap mods on it and make it stand out the wrong way. It's not a Honda and I'm not trying to flame you, just trying to make sense of this and possibly save another Ti from the hands of destruction:tongue:

Maverix 08-26-2009 07:44 PM

Chrome headlights! :joy:

Advice: Just upgrade to HID before you install them. The plastic housing tends to melt when you use a regular halogen bulb.

madfronter 08-26-2009 07:57 PM

before you buy those ebay lights, check out ddm tuning. You can get much better headlight there and their prices are awesome. And the lenses will be glass not cheap plastic like the ebay ones you are looking at. The headlight with the integrated corner lights on ebay will have gaps. Don't waste your money on those.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=96&pg=1

Shellback 08-26-2009 09:27 PM

My intent is not to sound bf.c’ish, but maybe E36’s are destined to be doomed, or owning them will no longer be the same. With their cheap prices and new crowds owning them, seems like they will all suffer or wind up in the import scene.
Best of luck.
-SB

318ti_pt 08-27-2009 07:13 AM

Donīt buy chrome buy black ones and put some eyelids it will look much Sport/aggressive better!!:biggrin:

And guys the plastic ones are lighter than the glass and they dont melt with a halogen bulb!! beside all modern cars have plastic ones too..!! trust me!!:wink:

BahnBurnerE36 09-14-2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 318ti_pt (Post 242407)
Donīt buy chrome buy black ones and put some eyelids it will look much Sport/aggressive better!!:biggrin:

And guys the plastic ones are lighter than the glass and they dont melt with a halogen bulb!! beside all modern cars have plastic ones too..!! trust me!!:wink:

Well you're obviously just a big gay douche. ^^

Anyways, yes CoolJess76 I see where you're coming from. But I look at it this way: Ricer tail lights look completely ridiculous on anything but a Toyota IS 300. Why? Because they're factory on an IS 300... Projector headlamps with angel eyes look pretty f*cking gay on anything but a BMW. Why? Because BMW came out with Halo's on their E46's. So how are aftermarket headlamps that looks basically like stock ones from one gen newer gay on my E36?

Just a thought, but it's whatever. My ti, I think they look good, and matter-of-factly I had a guy with an E46 M3 compliment me on my headlights the other day.

BahnBurnerE36 09-14-2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverix (Post 242320)
Chrome headlights! :joy:

Advice: Just upgrade to HID before you install them. The plastic housing tends to melt when you use a regular halogen bulb.

Oh, and no they won't... I have high watt halogens in right now. Also, way to go on saving the pixel car in your sig as a JPEG. Fail.

b-rad 09-14-2009 05:35 AM

Not to fuel the fire, but 'bahnburnere36', i think youre on the wrong forum. Around here, we tend to have something called respect for one another. Everyone was a newb at one point, yourself included. Theres no reason to use the language and attitude you seem to have. Also, Jess, i think your post was a little harsh.. We know you dont like ebay parts. ;)

Marv17 09-14-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahnBurnerE36 (Post 244188)
Oh, and no they won't... I have high watt halogens in right now. Also, way to go on saving the pixel car in your sig as a JPEG. Fail.

whoa whoa lil' boy. calm down... we all know we don't want your lil' undies all wadded up now. What we were trying to do is save you from those ebay lights. I, myself, have bought those in the begining when i first got my ti. And to be honest with you the "angel eyes" on those ebay lights are high quality and aren't very bright. Light output was eh. Like a 5/10. and It just looked really cheap to put on a bmw. If you don't like the angel eyes you can always get depo lights, that are made of glass so it won't yellow out, that don't have the angel eyes on them to give a MORE OEM look if that's what you want.
all in all, yes its your ti and you can do what you want... **** i do things all the time ppl don't like, look at brenden, aka tifreak, his car has things i dont like but i still respect his taste and have quite honestly started to like what he's done so far. anyway, point is... do what you will BUT watch your mouth kid, just give respect to be respected. THE END.
enjoy your new toys with your ti... :cool:

ChItalian1027 09-14-2009 09:17 AM

ok burner, what the guys r telling u is that if u go with the ebay headlights they may or may not fail on u at some point, also what they r saying is that yes u may see a lot of bimmers with AEs that are stock or aftermarket but all bimmer owners know that AEs make the bimmer look more modern.

now as for ur ebay lights i think personally get them if u want, just paint the housing black sooner or later that crome is gonna rust and make ur headlights look fugly, but to each there own.

jess damn man go easy on him he was resently in a wreck and wants to get some headlights.