318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Parting out & Parts (US) (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Misc parts For Sale: DASC (never installed) (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36684)

zoner 07-26-2012 01:35 AM

Tooling around Bimmerforums.UK today, I came across this.

Depending on how the final kit turns out, what the cost is (shipping from UK would add to that substantially), and what kind of numbers it turns in compared to the DASC, it just might be the answer for those of us looking for performance out of our M42/M44's!

Uber E30 07-26-2012 05:51 PM

KO sells SC kits for our cars, i doubt after shipping over the pond it would be any cheaper:

http://www.koperformance.com/BMW/tur...harger_kit.htm

I dont know about other states but the only legal SC we can run is the DASC which is why im keeping my eyes out for one of those. Otherwise I would just pop this guy in.

zoner 07-26-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uber E30 (Post 335199)
I dont know about other states but the only legal SC we can run is the DASC which is why im keeping my eyes out for one of those. Otherwise I would just pop this guy in.

The thing that sucks is that this S/C would probably blow numbers that were within spec. on the smog check, but CARB likes to charge manufacturers and developers of race/aftermarket parts thousands of dollars to test/verify their equipment and give it the all-important E.O. number so that it is emissions legal in CA.

If they never opened your hood, which my smog guy rarely does, they'd probably never know it was there.

Even so, I'm definitely considering this- if I have to spend a Saturday every two years putting it back to stock so that I can get a smog check, it seems like a relatively small price to pay for an extra 60+ HP. If there's interest, I wonder if KO would knock another couple/few hundred off the price for a group buy?

Uber E30 07-26-2012 06:56 PM

Yeah the CARB are Nazis and have no valid reason for not letting aftermarket turbos/SC on cars besides not getting money in their pockets. Im right there with you on pulling the SC every 2 years, but what I worry about more is a cop popping my hood and then my car gets flagged forever.

BlackBMWs 07-26-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uber E30 (Post 335204)
Yeah the CARB are Nazis and have no valid reason for not letting aftermarket turbos/SC on cars besides not getting money in their pockets. Im right there with you on pulling the SC every 2 years, but what I worry about more is a cop popping my hood and then my car gets flagged forever.

How often are authorities popping hoods other than SMOG? I may have been lucky when I been pulled over. None of my cars are very loud or obvious, but more tone than stock. :cool:

zoner 07-26-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBMWs (Post 335208)
How often are authorities popping hoods other than SMOG? I may have been lucky when I been pulled over. None of my cars are very loud or obvious, but more tone than stock. :cool:

I've definitely heard of it happening, but it's usually when it's associated with a group of guys street racing or doing something else equally stupid and the cops are just looking to pile-on to make life difficult for the offending parties. AFAIK, cops do have the right to inspect under the hood if they suspect possible illegal modifications or stolen parts.

Uber E30 07-26-2012 11:12 PM

I mean the likelihood of it happening to me isnt high because I drive with the flow of traffic, and im well past the age of wanting to do crazy stuff on open streets. I save my fun for the track. I just don't want to have the stress of seeing a cop in my rear view mirror and worrying about an "illegal" mod. If anyone has a spare CARB sticker then I would be interested in buying that =P

mtlblue 07-27-2012 12:22 AM

Is the the same SC as dasc? Shows they have those also, but i doubt it and Is there anyone running this kit, if its even really available ;)

Uber E30 07-27-2012 01:37 AM

Well I know when i called a few months ago they didn't have the DASC and it didn't seem liked they planned to have it. They are building a new site so im guessing that's just a relic that they haven't removed.