318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ti Engine swapped now problem starting (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10250)

williekhan 04-28-2006 10:02 AM

Ti Engine swapped now problem starting

I have just replaced the motor in my 1995 316Ti with a 1994 1800 dohc motor from a 1994 318Ti. i installed the motor and ecu into my car but kept the original wiring harness. the car turns over but refuses to start. have checked for spark and fuel, everything seems fine. the engine will start if i put engine start into the air manifold. it runs fine till i stop it again and then the same problem. can anyone give me any ideas? i am wondering whether it may have something to do with EWS, ie the ECU is expecting a signal from the EWS but no signal is there? not sure whether the car has an EWS or not. also wondering whether i reinstall the original ECU from my 1600 motor it would fix my problem or not? any ideas would be greatful.

stormos 04-28-2006 11:12 AM

No idea on the fault.. BUT.

This sounds a very good project. keep me informed as i want to do this conversion at some point so i can finally supercharge.

pdxmotorhead 04-28-2006 03:01 PM

The dealer told me one time that EWS started in Mid 95 o the TI.
Its hit and miss which cars have it.

Dave

J!m 04-28-2006 06:30 PM

I am not familiar enough with the 316 motor to comment, but did you use the harness off the 1.8 motor? If so, it is VERY possible the wiring pin-out for the harness to the car (those big connectors by the fuse box) is different...

Try the 316ti harness on the 1.8 motor and try that...

williekhan 04-28-2006 07:51 PM

yes I am using the wiring harness from my 316ti motor. it is currently at the dealers. they are telling me that it's the ECU thats the problem, they swapped it out with a test one they have and they said it is starting and running great. But when i bought the motor i heard it start and run great in the car it came out of, and the ECU is out of the same car i got the motor from. so thats why I'm thinking the ECU is fine but maybe it is wanting a signal from the EWS in order to start? and maybe the ECU they used to test doesn't need the signal from the EWS to work? any ideas?

J!m 04-28-2006 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
The dealer told me one time that EWS started in Mid 95 on the TI.
Its hit and miss which cars have it.

Dave

What he said...

I think yours is too old to have the EWS system, but the dealer will know for sure...

Another thought is that the ECU IS bad, the result of a voltage spike during disassembly or reassenbly... Simple static discharge can ruin it if it gets to the wrong parts.

williekhan 04-29-2006 03:16 AM

ok they are telling me now that because the motor and DME are from a manual gear box and mine is automatic that it's not compatible. finding it hard to believe but there u go. they are saying it needs the signal from auto to tell it to start, but i would have thought it would be fine and ignore any signals as the ECU would think it was a manual and not require these signals to start the engine? the Auto has it's own ECU but don't really know? they are saying i need one to match the motor and trans ( they are telling me there is a difference between a DME with auto or manual trans) ie: M42 1.8 dohc. can anyone tell me if thats right?

1) would my DME from my original motor work at all?
2) if i need to match the DME to the motor and trans could someone tell me the number of a DME that would work well?
3) the number on my original DME is 0-261-203-276

pdxmotorhead 04-30-2006 06:45 PM

Sorry dude but they are likely right.

I was looking at a swap a while back and the shop that was going to do it warned me it HAD to be a manual ECU.

Dave

J!m 05-02-2006 12:34 AM

It sounds reasonable to me as well.

The automatic cars DO have a second, completely separate (but integrated) ECU for the transmission...

My experience is with the manual, and all the swaps I have seen in person have been manual.

williekhan 05-27-2006 04:28 AM

Thanks to all that have given me advice. have resolved the problem! man wouldn't do that again without looking into it first.

pdxmotorhead 05-27-2006 04:31 AM

WHat was the solution ????? We haaaave to KNow!!!!!!

:)

Dave