318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Differentials (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   i LOVE my LSD! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30018)

Junk 03-27-2010 10:06 PM

i LOVE my LSD!

Well it's the first I've ever had.. supposedly out of a 98,99? M coupe / roadster. Torsen I believe, you can't really tell by turning it by hand, but driving it is noticeable. Definately hooks up out of corners and easy to pop a 180.. breaks traction easily and then traction stays nice and consistent through the slide.. Saving donuts practice for another day because it'll only wear out that 2" of rubber on the insides of the tires.. Even with the taller 3.23 ratio and the stock M44, I love it! (Now I have a clubsport LSD to get rid of that's 3.45/3.46 and probably more fun, but I'll have the six banger in place soon and won't mind the highway cruise) Very worthwhile upgrade.. if you need a brake job already and have or plan on M3 front brakes.. the M coupe rear subframe isn't that expensive for what you get, bigger brakes, bigger bearings, LSD with finned cover, bigger swaybar, stiffer springs. I had the M coupe springs installed.. looked about like a stock ride height.. I hate open diffs! oh yea i can think positively now.. I LOVE my LSD.. Everything I thought it would be.. LOVE IIIIIITTTTTT!!!!

1996 328ti 03-27-2010 11:13 PM

I don't know how the torsen compares to clutch packs or my Quaife.
I found my clutch pack diff performed better on wet than my Quaife.
But the Quaife is a better all around diff than the clutch pack.

I'd love to get a M Coupe subframe. That way I can have adjustable camber plates added before getting it installed and my tech would buy my subframe for his E30.

FMD 03-28-2010 03:36 AM

Torsen and quaife diffs use gears to sense torque and apply wheel lock and don't function well on slick surfaces and aren't very tolerant to drifting conditions.

Clutch-based diffs are the best for all-purposes as they are easy to rebuild and change lock rates and lock engagement (2-way vs 1.5-way / ramped)

tiFreak 03-28-2010 04:20 AM

they are pretty awesome, I lucked out and got a ti with a stock LSD :biggrin:

Junk 03-28-2010 04:46 AM

Ah, I had the feeling I would like the clutch pack type more, but coming from open diffs my whole life I'll take it for now! Did another 180 and a couple donuts.. I can see where it might not be best for drifting.. once I didn't break traction hard enough and it gained a little traction and then just stuck.. stock 1.9 doesn't help but.. what do I know I just got to do my first donut! FMD: what do you mean "not tolerant to drifting" meaning it won't hold up? Or doesn't drift as well? I have heard similar/same thing about the miata torsens or viscous limited slips.. where if you totally lose traction in 1 wheel, then you lose the lockup.. Oh well I'll have to see how this baby acts on a rainy day! 328ti: How is the quaife all around better than the clutch type?

1996 328ti 03-28-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junk (Post 265359)
328ti: How is the quaife all around better than the clutch type?

Lifetime warranty. Doesn't need to be rebuilt.

The first time on a skid pad I noticed the difference between the Quaife and clutch pad type diff. The regular LSD was hard to break loose in wet. The Quaife just snapped around.

On dry I like my Quaife better. The rear just seems to track better.

familytruckster 03-28-2010 10:54 PM

LSD's are great, I like my clutch type ones better than the 3x more expensive torque bias one I replaced the one in my racecar with. It's worthless in snow. Yes, I know, a racecar in snow... but it used to be great and lots of fun in the snow with 300hp and the clutch based LSD

Junk 03-29-2010 02:54 AM

Yea I was getting desperate.. about to weld my diff until I the whole rear end. Anyone happen to know what fluid I should be using for the M coupe differential? I see a lot of 75-90 and then some people saying 75-140. I got some 75-90 amsoil to try out since the store was out of redline.. I read there is a type 2R torsen that has some preload supposed to help over slippery surfaces or if a tire lifts..

pdxmotorhead 03-29-2010 03:43 AM

I'd take a gear limited slip over clutches any day...

Owned many. the torque sensing gear drive allow for a lot more control over the car IMHO than clutch packs and they don't wear out...

I use 75-90 Synthetic. With friction modifier if its got clutches.

Dave