318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What are these wires and connector? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32283)

wise67 12-09-2010 12:13 AM

What are these wires and connector?

So cleaning up the engine bay while waiting for injectors to come back and ive known for a while the old owner put some ebay alarm on that doesnt work and was spliced into some plug?

Anyways I have two wires that are just open so i put heat shrink over them and a connector that i have no idea what it is. The alarm siren was spliced into it so i cut it off (two red wires) and heat shrank them too...will take out the three way splice later. Can you guys identify these two things for me? Thanks.

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/...-28-48_937.jpghttp://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/...-59-18_752.jpg

cooljess76 12-09-2010 01:45 AM

looks like a fog light plug, not sure about the wires.

wise67 12-09-2010 04:07 AM

Both fog lights are plugged in and working?

zoner 12-09-2010 04:38 AM

Are the wires coming out of the splice connectors (those blue plastic things) going to the fog lights? If they are non-OEM fog lights, the previous owner may have spliced into the harness for the OEM lights to power the ones you now have... (just a thought). Follow those two red wires (on the bottom picture) and see where they go.

Not sure about the wires in the top picture.

Mr. Crow 12-09-2010 05:25 AM

In figure 1. looks like your ground wire & batt terminal. the big fat red wire looks like some sort of "monster" cable for an amp. with an extra fuse case.

In figur 2. looks like some splicing of hid coupled with your fogs or headlight plugs. Also looks to have a balast or hid bulb wired somewhere's in there.

More deatailed pics may help to determine the root!

Good luck!

wise67 12-09-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Crow (Post 287258)
In figure 1. looks like your ground wire & batt terminal. the big fat red wire looks like some sort of "monster" cable for an amp. with an extra fuse case.

In figur 2. looks like some splicing of hid coupled with your fogs or headlight plugs. Also looks to have a balast or hid bulb wired somewhere's in there.

More deatailed pics may help to determine the root!

Good luck!

hah on figure 1 ur right on about the ground and amp cable...talking about the two smaller wires just next to the inline fuse on the amp cable. Fig 2 u also see some hid wiring but they are plug and play..no splicing...there was an alarm siren spliced into that grey plug in fig 2 that i cut off...but all lights are plugged into factory connectors...?

Mr. Crow 12-09-2010 05:51 AM

It could be that they tried to wire the lights fog/headlights? to the key fob on that aftermarket alarm. So that when they hit the botton on the fob they connect with arm/disarm function. i

Your pics are kind of difficult to see what is exactly happening here. If everything is working properly, may just be cosmetically ugly.

just curious, how are your running lamps working currently when you pull the knob? does everything turn on when you have your lights on?

wise67 12-09-2010 05:59 AM

fog lights are on fog light knob and headlights are on headlight knob. Whatever that plug goes to should have activated that siren when power is put to it...??

Mr. Crow 12-09-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wise67 (Post 287261)
fog lights are on fog light knob and headlights are on headlight knob. Whatever that plug goes to should have activated that siren when power is put to it...??

In theory, yes. I like zoners advice,however. See where the wires lead from. In the meantime a bentley would be worth looking at the shcematics if you have one.

Sounds like and looks like the oem harness for an oem alarm that they cut and pasted to the new alarm horn.

Hope all goes well for you my friend.

zoner 12-09-2010 08:44 AM

After inspecting my engine compartment when I got home this evening- the plug in the second picture is, in fact, the plug for the factory alarm siren. It looks like they just spliced into the wiring for the non-OEM siren.

wise67 12-09-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoner (Post 287270)
After inspecting my engine compartment when I got home this evening- the plug in the second picture is, in fact, the plug for the factory alarm siren. It looks like they just spliced into the wiring for the non-OEM siren.

Thank you sir. If i had an alarm, where would the ecu for it be at? I have no key fob and there is a light an led in the center console (assuming for alarm).

THAT318 12-09-2010 09:18 AM

alarm module or whatever the technical term is would be located under the glove box. there is a panel under it to clean up that area, remove a couple of screws and its exposed. its black with a green connector slot.