318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   US and North America (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WTB Jim's M52 swap manual (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42088)

Tedford 12-08-2015 03:53 AM

WTB Jim's M52 swap manual

Contacted J!m and was told that he currently isn't selling his manual, so I was hoping someone here would have one that they no longer need. Just scored a 328i donor car and I'm hoping to dive into my new project in the upcoming weeks(with or without the manual). Thanks

bigbungster 12-08-2015 10:56 PM

I dont have one but have done the swap mechanically it's easy. My ti is a 94 and the 328 was a 98, the electrics were easy (I'm in the UK) pretty much plug and play really if you want anymore info give me a shout

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

wolferj-RIP 12-09-2015 04:54 AM

Tedford, I have done 2 swaps so feel free to ask away if you have questions...

Tedford 12-09-2015 05:14 AM

Thanks for the support guys. Not too worried about the swap since its e36 to e36, really just want to have something to read through at work on the subject(already read everything I could find on here and the rest of the internet). If I have any questions or get hung up I'll definitely post it up on this site.

derekkg 12-09-2015 04:58 PM

Its a shame he isn't selling his anymore! Its a great resource. I could sell you mine, although I seem to remember J!m specifically asking us not to resell the manual. I'll have to check

bigbungster 12-09-2015 05:41 PM

What's supposed to be in these manuals?

derekkg 12-09-2015 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbungster (Post 377493)
What's supposed to be in these manuals?

It not that challenging to do it without it, but this gives you all the details you could ever want to know. It is literally a step-by-step guide. One of the most valuable things is knowing what parts work with what. What driveshaft with what transmission, what flywheels work, keys, DME info, etc. I read it over a couple time before I started and gathered all the parts I needed while still driving my TI. Didn't need to do any parts runs after I started.

Its like having someone who has done the swap tell you exactly what and how to do it, step by step. Really takes any guesswork out of it

wolferj-RIP 12-09-2015 08:21 PM

J!m had specifically stated previously that the manual is copyrighted and cannot be resold or distributed without his consent.

Since it is now "out of print" so-to-speak, where does that leave us who have them? I have an idea, but I need to run it by the site admin...

Tedford 12-11-2015 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolferj (Post 377505)
J!m had specifically stated previously that the manual is copyrighted and cannot be resold or distributed without his consent.

Since it is now "out of print" so-to-speak, where does that leave us who have them? I have an idea, but I need to run it by the site admin...

Let me know what happens, still interested. Thanks

yammaxx 06-04-2016 03:37 PM

I would be interested in purchasing a used manual as well. I'm doing a S52 to 1998 318ti swap now. Any update to obtaining one of these?

Bwwaaaa 06-29-2016 01:39 AM

I'm also very interested in buying one. Contacted Jim as well, but since he's not selling them I don't really have any other option then trying to buy someone else's.

It'd just be nice to have answers to any snags I run into as I go. I'm not anticipating it to be a difficult swap, but I like making things as easy as I can.

98ti 06-29-2016 04:40 AM

Also very interested in J!Ms manual. Recently tried contacting him but no response. His sticky is still up with PayPal payment details in the post. Any ideas or options?

Shredlinski 12-06-2016 06:32 AM

I would love to purchase a J!m swap manual... just sayin

Coyoteh 12-15-2016 11:35 AM

No disrespect to J!m, and I certainly recognize all the hard work he put into creating the manual and his desire to protect that.

There seems to be a misunderstanding of copyright. According to the First Sale Doctrine, copyright cannot legally prevent an original physical copy from being resold. If you possess an original printing, you own it. That physical printing is yours to do with as you want, resell, loan, whatever. As long as you're not reproducing it.

If book and music publishers etc could legally do that and make tons more money forcing everyone to buy new copies, they would have a heyday with it.

Sorry Jim, I don't mean any disrespect. But now, especially that it's out of print, I wanted to clear up these questions people have been asking.

wells96318ti 01-02-2017 12:15 AM

Swap guide

If someone is selling one of these it would be amazing. I am doing a OBD2 to OBD1 swap with a s50. I would need this a lot for more specific info thanks.