318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   So many computer issues solved. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20536)

roadrash 01-14-2008 04:50 AM

So many computer issues solved.

Howdy kids...

I'm feeling productive and happy, so I thought I'd share. LOL

I've spent the past week upgrading a couple of computers, and resolving various hardware, software, and networking issues. Nothing extremely difficult, just tedious. I'm a Linux fan, so this is all on Mandriva 2008. My laptop dual boots WinXP and Mandriva 2008. Some of my silly "triumphs" include:
  • Upgraded the OS on my laptop to Mandriva 2008, then updatedthat, and reconfigured all my personalizations.
  • Replaced the PIII-600 that I was using for a "server" (file storage, DHCP server, etc.) with a P4-1.5GHz machine. I basically swapped the old hard drive into the 'new' box, then upgraded the OS (also to Mandriva 2008) and configured the rest of the hardware (NIC, modem, video, etc.) Actually, I didn't "upgrade" it... I formatted that partition (leaving my home partition untouched) and re-installed the new OS.
  • At this point, the server doesn't have internet access of any kind because I don't have broadband, and the modem in the server wasn't configured. So, I set up a DHCP server on the laptop so I could get the server connnected to it and then transfer all the OS updates
  • Miraculously, I got the internal modem on the laptop working and connecting to the 'net... and at faster speeds than my PCMCIA modem had been getting. I've had this laptop since the Fall of 2004 and only had the internal modem working for a few days, but I managed to break the conffiguation somehow and went back to the PCMCIA modem. But, it's working now. Yay!
  • Worked out the networking issues so the two machines could see each other (remote shares via NFS, DHCP, IP numbers, etc.)
  • Once I had the machines connected, I set up NFS shares of a couple of directories on each machine. Then I transferred all of the updates to the server and installed them there too.
  • Spent hours refreshing my file archives. I had back-ups from my previous laptop, a bunch of CD .iso files, and all sorts of other personal data that needed to be sorted through and mostly deleted. I still need to update the 18+ GB of mp3's that are on the server. For that, I think I'm just going to delete the whole 18 GB on the server, and then copy the new stash that's currently on the laptop. I wonder how long it'll take to transfer 18 GB of files? LOL
  • After the server was updated, I needed to make it the DHCP server and the laptop the client (because the laptop will generally be a client anyway). So, I had to sway DHCP configurations. In the midst of all of that networking stuff, I was trying to figure out some firewall issues that occurred when I also had the laptop connected to the internet via modem. :mad:
  • At this point, I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to see if I could get the modem working on the server. It's a "winmodem" (aka software modem), so I didn't expect much. To my surprise, the Mandriva config utility told me that I needed some files to make it work, and those files were available at their web site. So, I tracked down the various files and that modem connected to the 'net also!! Wow, 2 for 2! :eek:
  • Yesterday, I bought and installed a DVD burner in the server. This was the easiest part of this whole mess. I actually walked a couple of hundred yards to a mom-and-pop computer store to buy the burner. (Nearby computer store, FTW!)

I've still got a few more "projects," including, but not limited to:
  • Get Sauerbraten running on the server. It runs on my laptop (WinXP AND Linux), but the video card in the server doesn't seem to be up to the task.
  • "re-establish" the wireless broadband connection that I was "borrowing." :cool:
  • Set up yet another old machine for my parents to use at their business in place of an even older one. How old? It's going to be running Win98 unless I can get Quickbooks running on Linux via WINE.

So, yay for me! LOL

96cali 01-14-2008 07:40 PM

Yes, yea for you! I have no clue how to do what you did. On the other hand i cleaned my gutters on Saturday so yeah, I feel pretty manly.

roadrash 01-14-2008 08:51 PM

Some days I wish I had gutters, and therefore a house for them to be mounted on, but most days I'm glad I don't. :-)

It's looking like I also need to resolve a DNS issue, so that goes on the list too. woo hoo.

DustenT 01-14-2008 09:51 PM

Sounds like a typical day at work for me. :tongue:

roadrash 01-15-2008 12:01 AM

Well, why don't I work at the same place you work? Geez. I did all that for free and you get paid... it's just not fair. LOL

tiFreak 01-15-2008 02:16 AM

wow, I have no idea what any of that means :blahblah: lol

elchicano 01-15-2008 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreek (Post 151481)
wow, I have no idea what any of that means :blahblah: lol

yea what he said.:biggrin:

thesk8nmidget 01-15-2008 03:57 AM

im not very knowledgeable with linux or servers but i am quite good with the rest. basically self taught on everything to do with my house computers and local networks between them all.

but the rest of the things can be confusing but once you figure it out quite simple!

nice work!

roadrash 01-15-2008 05:02 AM

Thanks! It would be a lot easier to figure out why things aren't working (e.g. the internal modem) if this laptop was solid and dependable. However, figured out a while back that there's some poor connections happening along the back edge. The power button, internal NIC & modem, and the connector for the screen to the mother board are all in that corner. It's probably some microscopic break in one of the daughterboards, or something like that. I've just learned to live with it.

BTW... sk8... check out Sauerbraten! Download it while you're in Hoost'n and have broadband access. :biggrin:

ATF 01-15-2008 05:05 AM

I went to work during a state of emergency. Let's just say my first day was very uneventful (I carpooled with my friend, he's got a Subaru Legacy (AWD)). Other than trying to hunt down a working floppy drive and disk to install SCSI drivers for my desk computer, which wasn't pre-setup for me.. sounds like it's a very DIY attitude at good ol' Lincoln Laboratories. The (insert number here) terabyte xserves were pretty though.

thesk8nmidget 01-15-2008 05:09 AM

well i am back in dallas now :(

i got back here today at about 330

so im back in hell lol.

ive just been blackberrying it up in my room.

lol

roadrash 01-15-2008 05:25 AM

[Homer Simpson voice] Mmmmmmmmm... multi-terabytes....

Hey sk8... Do you have a working DVD drive? I just might be talked into mailing you a DVD full of random open source software. :-D PM me if you have requests.