318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   New Toy (portable gas welder) (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23865)

cooljess76 10-01-2008 08:30 PM

New Toy (portable gas welder)

:joy:I just won this on ebay, it's somewhat local and I'm going to pick it up right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005

Should come in handy on a few projects I have planned for the 332ti:wink:

Maverix 10-01-2008 08:33 PM

Congratulations!
Hope it has a leak and blows up

elchicano 10-01-2008 08:43 PM

Great find heard welding tools are expensive. So i guess you got a deal. Wish i knew how to weld, are you by any chance thinking of making a boser hood?

cooljess76 10-01-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elchicano318ti (Post 195857)
are you by any chance thinking of making a boser hood?

Well I wasn't until you mentioned it, lol. Nah, I took some welding classes and did really well. I don't think I'm gonna do the boser, although I think they look awesome. I just plan to shorten my Rogue Engineering exhaust and possibly do some custom work to my fenders before I get it painted. Most people don't gas weld because it takes a lot of time and patience, but personally I think the quality is better if done right. TIG and MIG welds can be nice and small, but I think gas welds look cleaner. I guess it doesn't matter when doing bodywork though, because it all gets ground down and smoothed out anyway. Heck, even if I only use it a few times, I still have a really expensive cigarette lighter:tongue:

Marv17 10-02-2008 09:15 PM

ah. i got one of those welders, its somewhere in the back yard. the tanks are pretty tall. however they arent mine tho.... good find jess.

Bobbak 10-02-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 195854)
:joy:I just won this on ebay, it's somewhat local and I'm going to pick it up right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005

Should come in handy on a few projects I have planned for the 332ti:wink:

hey jess i got a mig welded (non gas) if you need to borrow it anytime just let me know. I'll cruse down to venture and we can shoot some pool or something

cooljess76 10-02-2008 10:35 PM

Sure Bobby, you're always welcome to come up and hang out.

angel318ti 10-02-2008 10:38 PM

Nice Jess, I've been looking for one for a while. have fun with it and hurry up and start on that boser!

cooljess76 10-02-2008 11:01 PM

I would, but my hood is carbon. I do have something rather big in store though. Here's a little hint:wink:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/d3c743e2.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNcLw8YCklw

angel318ti 10-02-2008 11:10 PM

oooooh wide body huh? I got some wheels that you might be interested in if that's the case.

roadrash 10-02-2008 11:10 PM

Hmmm... either you're going to turbo it, or you're going to add contrasting-color hood vents, like the yellow car in the photo. My money is on the latter since we all know how much you love hood scoops. :-D

Fagerheim 10-03-2008 12:10 AM

I woulnt use that to weld pieces of metal together...
But to cut them, and to create angels, widebody ets i would...
(I weld together metal plates and such everyday)
Helped out a friend makeing a E30 widebody some months ago... used that tool to cut som parts... and MIG to weld it on to the car...

cooljess76 10-03-2008 12:40 AM

I've used oxy-acetylene rigs to weld exhaust, steel plates and various other projects together. Why wouldn't you use it? Personally, I think gas welding is much cleaner, you don't get the splatter/slag that you get from electric/arc welding, it's easier to control the puddle and easier to control the heat. Sure it takes a little more time, but in the end I think the quality is worth the extra effort. As for using it to cut metal, yes that's another nice function of oxy-acetylene. However with the small tanks on my portable rig, you'ld run out of oxygen rather quickly.

Now when it comes to welding thicker pieces of metal, arc welding is better. For sheet metal, I prefer gas.

Bobbak 10-03-2008 03:28 AM

i always thought you couldn't use a gas welder for thin sheet metal wouldnt you burn a whole or something in it? I'm not too comfortable with gas welders

cooljess76 10-03-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbak (Post 196240)
i always thought you couldn't use a gas welder for thin sheet metal wouldnt you burn a whole or something in it? I'm not too comfortable with gas welders

With a gas torch, you gradually add heat until the metal is molten and a puddle forms. Then you dip a filler rod into the puddle while simultaneously making small circles with the torch tip and pushing the puddle from right to left. If done correctly with the appropriate torch tip, pressure and of course a neutral flame, you will not burn through the material that you're welding. However, if you have your torch adjusted with a humongous flame and/or stay in one spot too long, yes you can burn through your project. The key is gradually introducing heat rather than zapping it with immediate heat. You have more control with a gas torch. If it starts to get too hot, you take the torch away. Once you see a shiny puddle form, you know the metal is 3000 degrees. With arc welding, you can't take the torch away, you have to either speed up or slow down which compromises the cleanliness of the weld.

Now with electric/arc welding, you go from 0-6000 degrees instantly. It's easier to lose control of your puddle as it's also harder to see your work if you happen to go off course. There's a very fine envelope with arc welding that you must stay within. If you move too fast, you won't get the penetration which will compromise the strength of your weld. If you move too slow, you'll apply too much material and can possibly burn through your work as well as running the risk of warping or distorting it.

There's nothing wrong with arc welding, just about everything metal that you use in everyday life was created by some sort of electric welding. I personally like gas welding. I think it's cleaner and I think the welds are of better quality. My welds truly look like stacked dimes and I take a great deal of pride in my work. Go out and take a look at some of the welds on your cars. Those were all done by robots and people using arc welders. While those welds are strong and functional, I say why not make it look clean too. When I used to work in the bike industry, I had many customers ask me why one bike cost 500 dollars and the other cost 5000? The answer was staring them right in the face. After pointing out the welds and the difference in quality and appearance, the answer was clear. The expensive bikes were usually TIG welded, which is very similar to gas welding in that you use a torch to make a puddle and dip a rod into it by hand instead of the current actually passing through the rod. The only difference is that a TIG weld utilizes an electric torch while gas utilizes well, gas. Good workmanship is not only functional, but is aesthetically pleasing to look at as well.