318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New Swap - Some RHD questions (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16392)

Aussie M3ti 06-10-2007 03:14 PM

New Swap - Some RHD questions

Just starting on a swap of a Euro 3.2 into a 318Ti. It's a 99 Ti which is RHD for Australia and I have a late 98 M Coupe which is LHD coming from Japan. The M Coupe is due in a couple of weeks.

I have read most of the threads but they are predominately LHD focused. I was hoping someone could answer some RHD questions.

1. Where is X20 connector on a RHD car. Is it under the battery or with the ECU? I can't see it anywhere. Mind you I haven't removed the battery yet.

2. Are there any issues using a LHD M coupe Engine loom with a RHD Ti? Do the primary connectors fit or do some wires need to be lengthened. Looking at photos the LHD and RHD M Coupe seem to have the major components in the same places. The Ti on the other hand has the major components in different places.

3. Do the Euro M3 Exhausts fit without mods on a RHD Ti? The LHD and RHD M3 and LHD M Coupe all appear to have the same exahust manifolds on Realoem. So I am hoping they fit without modification.

4. Does the battery need to be moved to the boot or can it still fit beside the fuse box?

Hope someone who has done a RHD conversion can help.

Thanks

Brian

Zacki 06-11-2007 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie M3ti (Post 123234)
Just starting on a swap of a Euro 3.2 into a 318Ti. It's a 99 Ti which is RHD for Australia and I have a late 98 M Coupe which is LHD coming from Japan. The M Coupe is due in a couple of weeks.

3. Do the Euro M3 Exhausts fit without mods on a RHD Ti? The LHD and RHD M3 and LHD M Coupe all appear to have the same exahust manifolds on Realoem. So I am hoping they fit without modification.

Thanks

Brian

If your talking the whole exhausts, then no. In case you haven't notice the ti is a good bit shorter then the coupe. the exhaust will stick 3+ feet out the back.

Aussie M3ti 06-11-2007 12:46 PM

I actaully only meant the Exhaust manifolds in releation to the steering rack.

Thanks

Brian

Rich 06-11-2007 02:18 PM

I recently swapped an M52 2.8 in to my Compact (RHD). 328compact.co.uk there is also a thread here.

1. Where is X20 connector on a RHD car.
Yip its under the battery, clipped on to the side of the fuse box.

2. Are there any issues using a LHD M coupe Engine loom with a RHD Ti?
Not sure how it will be on your donor, however on the 328's have the battery in the back the main battery connectors where on the other side of the engine bay. I simply rerouted the wires to the battery in the stock location. > here If you want to put the battery in the back, you could look into how the 323ti battery is mounted.

3. Do the Euro M3 Exhausts fit without mods on a RHD Ti?
Not sure how the 2.8 will compare to the M3, however I used the original 2.8 header with a z3 mid section (which needed extending) and then a 323ti Eisenmann backbox.

4. Does the battery need to be moved to the boot or can it still fit beside the fuse box?
It fits fine next to the fuse box. (at least on the 2.8)
http://www.328compact.co.uk/files/im...n_DSCN1153.jpg

Aussie M3ti 06-12-2007 02:07 AM

Rich thanks for the very comprehensive reply.

I am using a Chinese alloy copy of the M3 radiator so the other challenge is getting the Overflow tank into the engine bay. The RHD M Coupe have them where the battery is, so I may end up putting the battery in the boot.

Cheers

Brian

Rich 06-12-2007 08:18 AM

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9733

Found this thread on the forum shows the battery in the back of a 323ti. You could probably buy the clamps from a main dealer. For a length of thick gauge power cable you could go to a car audio shop.

Aussie M3ti 06-12-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 123468)
Found this thread on the forum shows the battery in the back of a 323ti. You could probably buy the clamps from a main dealer. For a length of thick gauge power cable you could go to a car audio shop.

Rich thats a great find. I have an odessy at home will do a test fit tonight. I was thinking of pinching the battery and cabling out of the M Coupe. It has the battery in the boot but would mean loosing the spare. The odessey on the side looks great though.

Thanks

Brian

larryn 06-12-2007 04:48 PM

I have an S52 (LHD), and have a full sized battery up front. Ideally, I'd like it in back for weight distribution, but I am not willing to downsize the battery capacity. That link shows an decent alternative, especially where the spare is useless with M3 brakes anyway. I wish those parts were available. I can't find them on RealOEM for any Euro or US configuration (RHD or LHD), including the Euro 323ti.

Aussie M3ti 06-12-2007 10:14 PM

That's a good point on the Spare. No point in carrying it when it doesn't fit over the brakes. Makes the twin exhausts a good option for the rear.

Test fitted the Odessey last night and the version I have is a perfect fit for the right hand storage box. So that is one part of the plan determined.

Cheers

Brian