318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Auto Tranny not selecting (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35268)

Maverix 01-30-2012 07:21 AM

Auto Tranny not selecting

Hey guys long time no see. Been busy with the family and school. Just stopping by with a little problem on the cult car. I bought new gaskets and filter from bavauto. Had a mechanic change out the transmission fluid because it felt like it was running a bit low with the hard shifting. After changing the fluid, the selector doesn't work anymore. Putting it into reverse or drive and it's still in park mode. I wasn't able to drive it out of the lot. I have a second car to drive around, so I'm not upset.

Any ideas on what it could be?
Thanks guys.

CirrusSR22 01-30-2012 08:10 AM

My first thought is the level is way too low.

Monolith 01-30-2012 04:47 PM

What steps did the "mechanic" do to add fluid?

Engine running, A/C on, fluid temp at 30 Deg C?

familytruckster 01-30-2012 10:44 PM

I think I pulled the cable off on mine when I dropped the pan.... wonder if the cable is just off..

Maverix 01-31-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 319998)
What steps did the "mechanic" do to add fluid?

Engine running, A/C on, fluid temp at 30 Deg C?

Not entirely sure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by familytruckster (Post 320027)
I think I pulled the cable off on mine when I dropped the pan.... wonder if the cable is just off..

Where is the cable located exactly? I don't have the car with me. It's still at the shop.

familytruckster 01-31-2012 01:50 AM

drivers side of the pan.... in the way of the fill plug. I *think* the bracket uses pan bolts, but it's been over a year since I was under there.

teetime4one 01-31-2012 04:03 AM

Zippy was shifting like crap for the past couple of weeks...then i broke down and went to a friends shop this afternoon in order to get it on a lift. low-and-behold...it was low on ATF.
so, i topped it off and the car now shifts better then ever.
this makes me very happy.
Good luck Joey

familytruckster 01-31-2012 04:46 AM

There is a pretty specific routine for adding fluid. Car has to be warmed to 85*F in neutral and then top off to bottom of fill plug. It's possible something was F'd up when the filter was changed too.

tiFreak 01-31-2012 06:22 AM

does it feel like the selector has any resistance to it or does it just move back and forth with no effort at all? if there's no effort it does sound like the cable is disconnected, it should be somewhere on the side of the transmission. was the mechanic able to drive it out of the garage bay into the lot or is it still inside?

Maverix 01-31-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familytruckster (Post 320048)
drivers side of the pan.... in the way of the fill plug. I *think* the bracket uses pan bolts, but it's been over a year since I was under there.

Mechanic confirmed it was not the cable.
Quote:

Originally Posted by teetime4one (Post 320070)
Zippy was shifting like crap for the past couple of weeks...then i broke down and went to a friends shop this afternoon in order to get it on a lift. low-and-behold...it was low on ATF.
so, i topped it off and the car now shifts better then ever.
this makes me very happy.
Good luck Joey

That's exactly why I wanted new oil. It was shifting a bit rough, so I assumed it was running low.
Quote:

Originally Posted by familytruckster (Post 320079)
There is a pretty specific routine for adding fluid. Car has to be warmed to 85*F in neutral and then top off to bottom of fill plug. It's possible something was F'd up when the filter was changed too.

I'm not sure if he followed the routine or not. I would think so since the majority of the cars he works on is bmw's.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 320099)
does it feel like the selector has any resistance to it or does it just move back and forth with no effort at all? if there's no effort it does sound like the cable is disconnected, it should be somewhere on the side of the transmission. was the mechanic able to drive it out of the garage bay into the lot or is it still inside?

There is resistance. And he worked on the car out side of the bay when he was changing the fluid. Their lift was occupied by other cars already.