318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Interior and ICE (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   RAdio locked forever...CODE WAIT Hell (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38002)

stubear334 02-22-2013 03:14 AM

RAdio locked forever...CODE WAIT Hell

Hey Guys,
I've tried everything to unlock my radio, but no luck. The radio card in my glovebox had the wrong code.

So, far I've tried leaving the key in the "run" position for an hour with no luck. Second time, in "accessory" for 2 hours, but nothing seems to work. The dealer gave me 2 possible codes, but I can't get past the dedblame "code wait" b.s.

Stuart

stubear334 03-07-2013 02:40 AM

Okay...I've tried every internet hack to clear the Code Wait on my radio with no luck. I will PayPal the lucky person who helps me solve this riddle $25 as a handsome reward.

Any takers?

bullmand 03-07-2013 09:34 PM

I just went through this with mine. I didn't do anything other than drive the car normally for about a day and a half worth of my normal driving and the code wait disappeared. The advice I found on the internet says it takes 90 minutes of driving to get it to clear. I didn't time it, but it was probably right around there. The code wait cleared out and it just said code with the dashes. I punched in the correct numbers and everything's fine.

bigfatdan 03-07-2013 09:57 PM

Same problem with mine except I drove my car (instead of key on) for about 2 and a half hours.

Good luck,
--DJL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

stubear334 03-08-2013 03:10 AM

Time for a road trip !

bigfatdan 03-08-2013 03:21 AM

Exactly, haha!

stubear334 03-17-2013 03:47 AM

Got it! I took the car on a road trip and after an hour, it magically read "Code -----." I entered the dealer's first code & voila, the radio is working. The dealer gave me 2 possible codes-one for an Alpine and one for a Blaupunkt.

Now, I found out half the speakers are blown! What are my options ??

Stuart

bigfatdan 03-17-2013 03:59 AM

Haha, one problem after another huh lol?

Good lucm

stubear334 03-18-2013 03:55 AM

The Ti is a piece of cake compared to my other project car....a VW Vanagon Westfalia. You could spend the rest of your life and paychecks fixing that thing. I could only tell you the stories. If you ever buy one, keep an xtra $8k on hand for a new engine. Everyone outside of CA ditches the wasserboxer and puts in a Subaru. In fact, the hottest conversion right now is a Subaru flat-4 diesel. Yes, that right diesel.

STu

bigfatdan 03-18-2013 01:16 PM

Nice lol, I've never driven a diesel anything.

BlackBMWs 03-04-2015 04:37 AM

I guess if you enter the code wrong like way too many times, you get a code wait. I normally don't have to drive that long so I just have to wait for the weekend to clear it. :frown:

stubear334 03-04-2015 03:45 PM

The "new" BMW radio I bought requires the country code to be changed to enter the unlock code. There are 4 & 5 digit codes, I believe. Then, I change the country code back to U.S.A.

Someone on ebay is selling NOS BMW radios that were badged for the newer MG/ROVER cars. He covers up the insignia with a "M" logo. They are technically brand new. However, at new, these BMW radios were crap. It skips a lot and the sound is crappy.

Stuart

BlackBMWs 03-04-2015 03:48 PM

Ok, just turned on my car to key position 1 and will let it sit for an hour till I head to work. I figure I prolly have 30 minutes drive time in since I messed up the code, so perhaps in 30 minutes in can play my old school jam again. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackBMWs 03-05-2015 01:15 AM

All better now. When I was ready to leave for the office, it was ready for code entry. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackjulia 04-10-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubear334 (Post 346608)
The Ti is a piece of cake compared to my other project car....a VW Vanagon Westfalia. You could spend the rest of your life and paychecks fixing that thing. I could only tell you the stories. If you ever buy one, keep an xtra $8k on hand for a new engine. Everyone outside of CA ditches the wasserboxer and puts in a Subaru. In fact, the hottest conversion right now is a Subaru flat-4 diesel. Yes, that right diesel.

STu

Just bought a `98 Ti ... only have a few hundred miles on it thus far, but have 100,000 miles on various Vanagon Westfalias :^) They're really magnificent in terms of engineering simplicity, etc., though the stock engine can be problematic. I'm on my 5th one I think ... Subaru gas engine conversion in this one and it makes all the difference in the world. The California Air Resource Board has approved the Kennedy Engineering conversion for use in California, so that's been an option for folks in CA for awhile (and the Subaru diesel engine conversion is exempt from smog checks in CA). I've not seen many of the diesel conversions, however, as the engines are somewhat hard to come by.

Otherwise, I'm hoping this Ti is as trouble-free as every other old BMW I've owned. It's destined to be passed on to one of my boys when he turns 16 (or rather, he'll have the opportunity to BUY it at a discount ;^)