318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Mine, mine, mine!!! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22987)

ladeeda3 07-23-2008 04:12 AM

Mine, mine, mine!!!

So no longer do I live vicariously through my parents' and my sweetie's bimmers... I now have my own!! :biggrin: Last Friday I picked up my very own silver 98 ti. My father, 30yrMbr, tells me its an active. It is in pretty good shape but does need a little lovin. My dad is awesome!! He will help me out by doing the work for me... changing out the fluids/filters/belts etc to start. The suspension is a little soft so until I can afford something more exciting, he is going to put his ti's original suspension in my car. There's a small oil leak we need to track down and the brakes need to be done. The previous owner, a new college grad, had to fess up to her dad when the mechanic pointed out the brakes were nearly gone. Apparently they had been done six months ago. My father is also dying to give the car a serious detailing. LOL

I will do my best to patiently stand by while my dad plays with my new toy... haha!

So I have been cruising thru the posts but havent read everything yet.

Anyone have an experience with a sagging sunroof? We are guessing the cables need to be replaced or tightened up as the back of the sunroof does not come up flush with the roof when closed.

I look forward to learning lots about all the fun mods I can do to my car! I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Lisa

Maverix 07-23-2008 04:32 AM

Congratulation! I'm always glad to hear when females own a ti. They are known for their soft driving. There is nothing wrong with that, and it lengthens the lifespan of the car. Pay close attention to when your dad works on your car. That's the best way one can learn the in and outs of a car, and you don't have to rely on mechanics all the time. And mechanics tend to get limited sometimes. Be kind to your ti, and your car will love you back for it! ;D

thesk8nmidget 07-23-2008 03:14 PM

welcome lisa! im sure roger will make her shine! please post some pictures when you get a chance!

glad you guys finally found a ti!

96cali 07-23-2008 03:38 PM

Get your hands dirty! Your dad sounds like a great guy and has a wealth of knowledge to give you. Wish I could have learned for free on my bimmer.

Welcome to the forum. :biggrin:

NHskibm 07-23-2008 06:21 PM

welcome!

tiFreak 07-23-2008 10:50 PM

welcome, since you're a female and I'm a perv I'd typically make some sort of pauly-esque comment, but you're dad's a member here so consider yourself lucky ;)

thesk8nmidget 07-23-2008 10:52 PM

hahaha pauly pauly pauly!

good job holding back! ;)

Fagerheim 07-24-2008 01:07 AM

Y, Congratulation... and Welcome to 318ti.org =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1225 (Post 185835)
Congratulation! I'm always glad to hear when females own a ti. They are known for their soft driving. There is nothing wrong with that, and it lengthens the lifespan of the car. Pay close attention to when your dad works on your car. That's the best way one can learn the in and outs of a car, and you don't have to rely on mechanics all the time. And mechanics tend to get limited sometimes. Be kind to your ti, and your car will love you back for it! ;D

I disagree with the "pay close attention to learn" part... I think that doing it by yourself alone is the best way to learn... when people talk it goes in one ear and out the other one... at least thats my experienc trying to teach a girl about any car... ( well im not saying that girls are that way ) but its my experience... And I'v learned nearly everything I can by myself with a small bit of help sometimes...

Maverix 07-24-2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fagerheim (Post 186046)
Y, Congratulation... and Welcome to 318ti.org =)

I disagree with the "pay close attention to learn" part... I think that doing it by yourself alone is the best way to learn... when people talk it goes in one ear and out the other one... at least thats my experienc trying to teach a girl about any car... ( well im not saying that girls are that way ) but its my experience... And I'v learned nearly everything I can by myself with a small bit of help sometimes...

So a person who has never touched a car is supposed to learn by them self how to do a oil change? :confused: I may have exaggerated a bit, but it gets the point across.

Fagerheim 07-24-2008 02:54 PM

haha :P Might be helpfull to learn the basics of someone... But changeing oil is like giveing a flower water, its not car mechanic...
I ment, like how to change brakes, brake disks, waterpump, clutch and such... Its just start unmounting and learn while doing it...
I get ur point... Its like learn to drive by your self when u cant start the car... :P

btw, i'v done car mechanincs school so i know the basics.... ;P

ladeeda3 07-24-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick1225 (Post 185835)
Congratulation! I'm always glad to hear when females own a ti. They are known for their soft driving.

Thanks!
I am curious though. What do you mean by "soft driving"?
I look forward to getting to know my car and I cant wait to get it out on the track.

ladeeda3 07-24-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget (Post 185902)
welcome lisa! im sure roger will make her shine! please post some pictures when you get a chance!

glad you guys finally found a ti!

Thanks Josh! I will deff get some pics up when she's all purtified! :biggrin:

ladeeda3 07-24-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96cali (Post 185910)
Get your hands dirty! Your dad sounds like a great guy and has a wealth of knowledge to give you. Wish I could have learned for free on my bimmer.

Welcome to the forum. :biggrin:

What?! Get dirty and ruin my nails?! haha
You are right about my dad tho and I am glad he is willing to spend this time with me and the car. To be honest this is the first car I've had that I've wanted to get my hands dirty on! LOL

ladeeda3 07-24-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 186008)
welcome, since you're a female and I'm a perv I'd typically make some sort of pauly-esque comment, but you're dad's a member here so consider yourself lucky ;)

Aww Pauly... I dont know whether to be relieved or disappointed! :wink:

ladeeda3 07-24-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fagerheim (Post 186103)
haha :P Might be helpfull to learn the basics of someone... But changeing oil is like giveing a flower water, its not car mechanic...
I ment, like how to change brakes, brake disks, waterpump, clutch and such... Its just start unmounting and learn while doing it...
I get ur point... Its like learn to drive by your self when u cant start the car... :P

btw, i'v done car mechanincs school so i know the basics.... ;P

I'm a reasonably intelligent person so I assume if I had a well written manual I could figure out how to do things. (I know... silly girl, reading directions ;p) I agree that one could learn well by just jumping in and working on the car... especially is one is mechanically inclined. However... having my father's help gives me quality time with him plus the guidance of not screwing up! :D