318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   *New* Headlights w/Angel Eyes and HID's (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29020)

Will'sBimmer 12-23-2009 06:41 PM

*New* Headlights w/Angel Eyes and HID's

I bought some new headlights for the Ti since I still had the stock ones. I must say that they are a huge improvement both visually and perfromance wise. I got them from a store on ebay after shopping around at ddmtuning and ebay. The ones I got were Depo with CCFL Angel Eyes and Xenon H.I.D.'s They look and work amazing. Very easy to install. They only problem I had was getting the driver's side light to fit with my CAI in the way. So I had to make some modifications to it. But everything fits now and is all working. I only have one picture so far and it shows the passenger light compared to the old driver's light.

Will'sBimmer 12-23-2009 07:19 PM

Here are some pics of the new headlight compared to the old. i will get some more pics of the lights later on but right now it is raining.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/100_2297.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...n/100_2298.jpg

madfronter 12-23-2009 07:29 PM

Looks so much better!

roadrash 12-23-2009 08:44 PM

How much did this set-up cost?

cooljess76 12-23-2009 10:10 PM

Your car's coming along quite nicely Will. Keep it up!

tiFreak 12-24-2009 12:53 AM

looks good, what kind of modifications did you have to do to the headlight? I've been told my Dinan intake won't clear the projector headlights either

MacUser 12-24-2009 03:15 AM

1. I like the stock ones better. The new ones are clear, not hazy/foggy like the originals. OK, I'm kidding. I need to get some new headlights for my ti.

2. What was the cost?

3. Will a stock ti have clearance issues with these, too?

4. What eBay seller?

5. What was the cost? (Yeah, I know I asked twice, but it's important and you didn't answer the first person who asked).

6. Awesome-looking!

SNOWti 12-24-2009 12:43 PM

I LOVE those old ones. I see foggy lamps and think McGuires Plastic X with a microfiber and back to OG!

HID LED headlights are extremely trendy right now. Even old bad ugly GM thunder trucks whatever those are are HIDd and when driving, its a huge problem when facing them to make a turn or simply driving against people that have them. I mean, its not an airport... I dont get it. I simply do not get the need for people to use super bright 4... 6 sets of lights in front. Its dangerous. Angel Eyes are fine though especially in daylight as their are a good visual deterrent in traffic so you can be seen, but NOT annoying or eye damaging like the stadium headlights contraptions people install on their mediocre cars. Jeez.

MacUser 12-24-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNOWti (Post 255319)
Even old bad ugly GM thunder trucks whatever those are are HIDd and when driving, its a huge problem when facing them ... I dont get it.

I empathize with you. But ... in any place that has a high concentration of Virginia deer, like Virginia and several other Mid-Atlantic and Midwest states, you really need illumination at night to try to see them ASAP. My Honda Element "caught" two last year ... it's book value is the only thing that saved it. I suspect they would have totaled my 318ti in that situation. Now, in Los Angeles, I doubt there are many Virginia deer there. Maybe you have something else? Illegal border crossers, perhaps???

Just last night, I saw a HUGE white donut come flying onto the road. I wish I had brighter lights so I could have seen it sooner. It really freaked me out. Kids were riding it down a steep hill beside a busy road with heavy tractor-trailer traffic 24/7/365. Luckily, they had sense enough to bail before they ended up in the road.

pdxmotorhead 12-24-2009 07:18 PM

The issue is installing HID bulbs in housings without glare cones.
HID NEEDS to be in a projector or shrouded bucket to work correctly.
Installing them in a old school housing should be grounds for a beat down...

Dave

SNOWti 12-24-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacUser (Post 255321)
I empathize with you. But ... in any place that has a high concentration of Virginia deer, like Virginia and several other Mid-Atlantic and Midwest states, you really need illumination at night to try to see them ASAP. My Honda Element "caught" two last year ... it's book value is the only thing that saved it. I suspect they would have totaled my 318ti in that situation. Now, in Los Angeles, I doubt there are many Virginia deer there. Maybe you have something else? Illegal border crossers, perhaps???

Just last night, I saw a HUGE white donut come flying onto the road. I wish I had brighter lights so I could have seen it sooner. It really freaked me out. Kids were riding it down a steep hill beside a busy road with heavy tractor-trailer traffic 24/7/365. Luckily, they had sense enough to bail before they ended up in the road.

The illegal border crossers are the ones that put stadium lights on their cars! That was brutally funny. I can tell you stories, we dont have deers in L.A. we have those types that dangerously also jump in your way, lane or do some seriously stupid maneuvers. That Im serious about. I have no hesitation telling you about how awful some certain people drive.

Coincidently, in my silver ti I actually went up to a wooded community to pick something I had bought, it was in a gated community in the valley, I think, it was Encino, the hills up the mountain sort of, anyway, I was going up this long wide street at night and just maybe a cars length ahead of me jumped a deer. Huge man. I was like damn, if I was in more of a rush... hopped from my left to right, right in front of me. Since then I've been no effing woodsy driving roads! Note to self - ask if there are deers next time you go to venturing to any new areas.

SO, I completely understand and agree that in cases such as that or in rural areas and deer dangers. So with you on that. In my case, here in Loss Anheless, I'd use those types of light with switches so when I find myself in that situation, I want stadium lights. The are deer sirens you know as well. I may actually have to buy something like that, maybe it can save other little creatures. I once hit a cat once, total accident, it was heartbreaking. I wont go into details... held the cat as it faded away.

Will'sBimmer 12-25-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 255270)
looks good, what kind of modifications did you have to do to the headlight? I've been told my Dinan intake won't clear the projector headlights either

Sorry for the long wait for answers I have been working in the studio and at my job for like over 24 hours straight now. Anyways to the answers.

They cost me 311 dollars which included shipping. i bought them from a member on ebay who sells them. RedcometM3. just search for e36 headlights and u will find him. He has different setups too. Good prices also.

A stock Ti will not have a problem with installing these headlights. They are easy to install since they are plug in play and the only thing that needs splicing are the angel eyes and it is just one wire. DDM tuning has a pdf file that shows u everything u need to know.

To Cooljess: Thanks man! :) I am trying to get it up to par with the rest of you guys.

To Ti Freak: I will take pictures of what I did but basically my CAI had to move and I had to cut the CAI tube to make it shorter. I will take some pics for you and explain it more in detail of how I made it work but it will work.

If anyone else has questions just ask. I will have more pictures up asap of the lights on and the mods I did to the CAI.

Mr.Squeelerz 12-25-2009 06:56 PM

Always a nice upgrade as long as the quality is good. Looks much better.

StealthBimmer 12-25-2009 07:13 PM

The new headlight looks good on the ti. It's always a good improvement in lighting with HID in them. It has the projector in the housing so just need to aim them right. Keep up the good work and post up some more pics for us to see!

KINGAMR 12-25-2009 08:16 PM

Looking good Will,keep it up!