318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Engine cooling fan doesnt work. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35788)

Donfico 03-20-2012 10:56 PM

Engine cooling fan doesnt work.

Hello guys, My 318ti's engine cooling fan doesnt work. Before I purchase the new cooling fan. Is the cooling fan being faulty or is there something else I need to make sure to confirm its cooling fan issue?

familytruckster 03-20-2012 11:25 PM

Those should cover any testing needed.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...ht=cooling+fan

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...ht=cooling+fan

Donfico 03-21-2012 02:41 AM

I checked on sensor plug thermal, The fan works on high speed only but not low speed. It means relay issue?

ti cali ed 03-22-2012 05:56 PM

There's a few parts to this system that could be bad. the relay is the most likly problem. If you have a good scan tool you should be able to easily test the relays and fan with the scan tool. Other wise you need to do it with a volt meter. The lazy why to do it would be to change out the high speed fan relay and see if that fixes the problem.

BlackBMWs 03-22-2012 06:36 PM

Good info on all three of these threads. (This one and the two imbedded) So, does anyone have the HS fan relay PN handy for the 95 M42? I looked it up the one in the thread at Tischer and the site indicated it was not for a 1995 model year. I looked it up in RealOEM and did not find the specific relay.

Duh... As I'm writing this, I realized I could pull mine if I can confirm which position it is in. :rolleyes: Let me head down at lunch and see if I can idntify the right relay.

I've also not seen my LS fan turn on yet on my 95 M42. got me thinking... :cool:

zoner 03-22-2012 06:57 PM

My fan pretty much never came on in my M42, even on the hottest days. Temp. gauge always stayed right at 12 o'clock, never had cooling issues.

On my M44, the fan comes on quite regularly, gets to operating temperature much faster than the M42, and it seems to run a touch hotter than the M42.

Just seems to me like the M42 has better cooling than the M44.

BlackBMWs 03-22-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoner (Post 324890)
My fan pretty much never came on in my M42, even on the hottest days. Temp. gauge always stayed right at 12 o'clock, never had cooling issues.

On my M44, the fan comes on quite regularly, gets to operating temperature much faster than the M42, and it seems to run a touch hotter than the M42.

Just seems to me like the M42 has better cooling than the M44.

Perhaps on the Ti, I know I had a BIG scare last summer here on a 105+ degree day and my 10 mo old fan clutch decided to give out on my 318ic. Looked down and was at 3/4 and rising on the temp gauge and away from home on a Sunday. As such, I wanted to ensure all cooling items on this ti are solid.

On my other M42, I swapped every hose to not have any unexpected supprises. Lotsa hoses. Looks the same on the ti. I know I can delete some hoses, however, it's not a big expense to keep it stock. I replaced the fan clutch too, but I reckon I got a bad one...

L.A. gets almost as hot as Sacramento in the summer. I'm supprized yours dosent come on more often, unless you run the A/C during those months...

I just checked and my fan does turn on with the A/C. I'll have to confirm if the cooling fan does in low and high speed modes. I also have to straighten up my garage so I can find my E36 Bentley manual to identify the right fan relay... :cool:

BlackBMWs 04-21-2012 09:59 PM

Ok. Main cooling fan not turning on with or without A/C on AND the engine hot. :mad:

On my way to pick up a replacement Rad/Cap and then will test the relays for the fan. does anyone have a pic of the relay box for a 97 M44 or compatible please? I can't locate my copy of the E36 Bentley manual just now.

Thanks! :cool:

KSKarl 04-26-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donfico (Post 324726)
I checked on sensor plug thermal, The fan works on high speed only but not low speed. It means relay issue?

Most likely cause for your symptoms is the low speed resistor is burned out. Check relays with a multimeter or test light. If the low speed relay works, then that resistor is the culprit. I've heard of people getting a resistor from Radio Shack rather than BMW, something like 5 ohm 10 watt, but don't have the exact info any more.

bazar01 04-27-2012 07:04 PM

My daughter's 96 had some cooling issues last week. The fan never turned on even when the a/c was on. She caught it just about when the temp gauge was a little over 12 o'clock and she pulled over.

When I checked it, the radiator fan plug has a loose connection. i expanded the male pins so it will make good contact with the female side of the connector. The fan is back to normal operation.

On the 96 ti, there are 2 yellow relays. The one on the left is the HS and the one on the right is the LS. If you pull out the relay, you can jump terminals 30 and 87 with the ignition in the ON postion, the fan should run in HS and LS. Test it one at a time.
If the LS is not working, test the terminal 30 for 12V. If there is no 12V, the HS relay normally closed contact is open. You will need to replace the HS relay.

dguzzardo22 04-27-2012 09:03 PM

when key just turned on . is the fan supposed to come on ?

KSKarl 04-27-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dguzzardo22 (Post 328138)

It will if the A/C is on

bazar01 04-27-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dguzzardo22 (Post 328138)

With ignition switch turned ON, engine not running,

Fan will run in high speed with the A/C compressor button ON.

Fan will not run in slow speed by itself unless the coolant is hot causing the radiator temp double switch to make on the lower temp contacts.

dguzzardo22 04-27-2012 11:07 PM

mine is on at all times

eng cold and a/c button is off .

Tijuan 05-19-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donfico (Post 324707)
Hello guys, My 318ti's engine cooling fan doesnt work. Before I purchase the new cooling fan. Is the cooling fan being faulty or is there something else I need to make sure to confirm its cooling fan issue?

So what did you do????? I have replaced the fan three times so now I'm thinking it is some sort of electrical issue.