318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My car is cutting off after cd player install (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33891)

BabyBimmer 07-12-2011 05:49 AM

My car is cutting off after cd player install

So I got a cd player installed in my 1995 318ti on Friday and right after I pulled onto the street out of the shop my car turned off at the light. I drove home and it turned off once more and had been fine since. Today I went back to the shop and told them about the problem and they said I need a new battery. I believed them and decided to get some speakers. After I left the shop my car did the same thing as Friday. I had been there forever getting the speakers done so I may go back tomorrow. I also noticed that the car starts rumbling like it's going to turn off when the volume is past 30. Is this a battery problem or did they do something wrong?

MacUser 07-12-2011 05:42 PM

I'm sure someone will tell you EXACTLY what they did wrong, but that's my vote!

lazoh 07-12-2011 05:53 PM

Did you get a new battery?? I was not able to tell from your post since you mentioned getting new speakers after the battery comment. And if is the battery, your car would not start after turning off (battery would be dead). It could be a short but hard to tell unless you have more specific information.

BabyBimmer 07-12-2011 10:57 PM

No I didn't get a new battery. I was waiting to see what people thought the problem was. What specific information are you talking about?

lazoh 07-12-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyBimmer (Post 304740)
No I didn't get a new battery. I was waiting to see what people thought the problem was. What specific information are you talking about?

Specific installation information for the head unit (the person that installed the radio would know) and a good way to test the battery is to take it to Auto Zone and they will check it for you for free.

Did the car started after it turned off? Or did you have to get juice (jump start) from another car?

BabyBimmer 07-12-2011 11:19 PM

It starts right back up after it shuts off. I just have to turn the key and it comes back. Also, like I said the car only shuts off if i turn the volume above 30.

pdxmotorhead 07-13-2011 05:31 AM

I had a problem when I messed with teh stereo. There is a big connector behind the head unit, if the wiring harness is not threaded right the connector gets loose and weird sh** happens.

Dave

MacUser 07-13-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacUser (Post 304715)
I'm sure someone will tell you EXACTLY what they did wrong, but that's my vote!

See? I told you!

Thanks Dave! I couldn't remember what it was, but I knew head unit installation could be trouble!

BabyBimmer 07-13-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 304774)
I had a problem when I messed with teh stereo. There is a big connector behind the head unit, if the wiring harness is not threaded right the connector gets loose and weird sh** happens.

Dave

So I should go back and tell them to look at it? Im gonna go get my battery tested at autozone too.

MacUser 07-13-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyBimmer (Post 304790)
So I should go back and tell them to look at it? Im gonna go get my battery tested at autozone too.

Stop at AZ first, then when the installer tells you it's the battery, you can tell them it's something else.

When my alternator went out, as the battery started dying, the car started shutting down systems, like ABS and SRS, before it finally died.