318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   questions about lowering (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7130)

tonymasone 10-03-2005 07:29 AM

questions about lowering

When I lower my TI, won't the wheels end up angeling in more? like this / \ and wear on the inside of my tires?

Viper3812 10-03-2005 07:36 AM

It's a possibility, depends on what setup you use. After you lower your car go get an alignment to check on the angle.

318ti_Portugal 10-03-2005 11:39 AM

If you lower it too much and keep the stock shocks, you'll probably end up with some camber. The front can be corrected with an aligment, but I believe to adjust the rear camber you'll need camber plates.

bullmand 10-03-2005 12:12 PM

It really does depend on what you're starting with and which springs you use. Stock mine was a sport, so it was a bit lower anyway. I installed the Eibach Pro-Kit and since then I have seen slight wear on the inside edges. The alignment is as close to stock as the dealer could get it. Obviously, the lower you go, the more problems you will have with this. There are camber plates available for front and rear. As I understand it, the rear is not adjustable without using an aftermarket product.

AlaskaBlue 10-03-2005 03:21 PM

The rear is not adjustable with out an aftermarket camber kit. The lower you go the more negative camber you will have. If you do lower the car with lowering springs you must buy different shocks that can accomodate the shorter springs. Otherwise the stock shocks will be blown out quickly and have to to be replaced.

Dubster1 10-03-2005 07:53 PM

Mines lowered 1inch and my rear kumho's wore the inside edge within 10000 miles but ive seen other lowered compacts going through rears quicker.My fronts are wearing evenly.

PettitWC 10-03-2005 08:06 PM

when i lowered mine I noticed a definite slant to the tires but i would follow the others' advice on how to correct it.

318ti_Portugal 10-03-2005 08:18 PM

Do you also need camber plates on the front to get a correct aligment?

PettitWC 10-03-2005 09:02 PM

i think so but I'm not totally sure

nick_hegel 10-03-2005 09:10 PM

This summer I installed BavAuto's adjustable camber kits, because I was having troubles with camber and tire wear. After it was all installed I got a proper alignment and had new tires put on and I now I have no wear issues at all and all the vibrations I had before are gone too! :biggrin:

318ti_Portugal 10-03-2005 09:25 PM

nick_hegel, did you install front and rear kits?
Did the handling improve?

nick_hegel 10-03-2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 318ti_Portugal
nick_hegel, did you install front and rear kits?
Did the handling improve?

yup front and rear. It improved, but mostly just because of the proper alignment and new tires. It wasn't really fair to compare it to the earlier condition. The tires were past bald on the inner halves and the front suspension had lots of play and vibrations at higher speeds. When I had the camber kits installed, I also had every bushing replaced in the rear suspension. That also made the car's handling much better.

318ti_Portugal 10-03-2005 11:49 PM

Thank you for the explanation.
I have to rethink my lowering... Now besides shocks and springs I'm also considering camber kits wich pushes the budget a bit...
Was the install easy? Can I install the shocks and springs and then later, install the camber kits?

AlaskaBlue 10-03-2005 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_hegel
This summer I installed BavAuto's adjustable camber kits, because I was having troubles with camber and tire wear. After it was all installed I got a proper alignment and had new tires put on and I now I have no wear issues at all and all the vibrations I had before are gone too! :biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking how much did all the installation cost? I have been contemplating geting the bavauto camber kits along with the solid aluminum subframe bushings, I have heard it is very expensive to do.

318ti_Portugal 10-04-2005 12:02 AM

The two kits, front and rear alone cost more than $500! :(