318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   US and North America (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WTB: J!m’s Swap Manual (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44502)

lokister 12-21-2018 09:41 AM

WTB: J!m’s Swap Manual

Hey everyone,

I’m looking to do an M52 swap (bonus 5 speed conversion at the same time) to my 318i sedan. I’ve already sourced an engine and tranny (with DME/ECU, harness, and S52 cams) for free (I just have to pay ~$500 to ship it from the East Coast). And I’ve already accepted I’ll pour another $1000 into everything else (accessories, driveshaft, diff, new cooling system, etc).

I know Jim made a swap manual but isn’t selling it anymore. I know the one that’s coming out is new and improved and that if I buy an old copy I won’t hey any support, but I’m doing this swap soon and really would love a guide of some type. Swap threads are helpful for small issues but I think very linearly when it comes to E36 maintenance and a manual of some type would save soooo much time. I’ve done a lot of suspension work on my E36 (basically the whole thing) so I have a fairly advanced set of skills, but nothing this big. I need some help.

So, anyone has one that they can sell? As far as I know, Jim has said that the physical copies can be resold, but correct me if I’m wrong.

And Jim, if you’re listening, I’ll happily buy the old copy :).

Thank you!!

ZEK 12-22-2018 05:48 PM

Since you might be waiting a while for said manual, why don’t you compile a list of your questions or see what you are missing in a process? This is one of the easiest swaps in car swap history imo and has been documented across many forums in pretty complete steps.

For example, I sit in an office all day yet have completed the swap, upgrades etc. Know how to use search engines.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lokister 12-22-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEK (Post 389810)
Since you might be waiting a while for said manual, why don’t you compile a list of your questions or see what you are missing in a process? This is one of the easiest swaps in car swap history imo and has been documented across many forums in pretty complete steps.

For example, I sit in an office all day yet have completed the swap, upgrades etc. Know how to use search engines.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for offering the support. I’ll write down my questions and send you a PM.

Beam318i 12-25-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokister (Post 389811)
Thank you for offering the support. I’ll write down my questions and send you a PM.

Just so you know, I have been planning and preparing for a S52 swap and I reached out to Zach and he has been very helpful. I had several questions related to the swap and it was good to get those questions answered ahead of time so I did not unnecessarily spend money on parts that I could not use. Good luck.