318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Springtime ritual (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9612)

steelejared 03-22-2006 11:52 PM

Springtime ritual

I just took my steel rims and Pirelli snowsports off and put my summer wheels and tires back on for the summer. Wow, the pirellis are okay, but what a difference in handling. I was beginning to get used to the feel of the snow/ice tires which were, by comparison, a little mushy.

In addition, I replaced my old worn out hood emblem. It had been sitting around on my desk at home for a few months. I could not belive the difference it made. All of the enamel had simply cracked and peeled away from the old one and the replacement was simplicity itself. It took me all of about 3 minutes to carefully work a screwdriver under the old one and gently pry it off, pull the old grommets out with some needle-nose pliers and install the new emblem.

Even if you are not very inclined toward DIY projects on your ti, but need to freshen your hood emblem, it is super easy and was a tremendous improvement in the aesthetics of my car. I bought it from Bav auto for peanuts.

So anyway, I also did a thorough wash and cleaning including the engine bay. I feel like a new man. Next weekend, I'll break out the zymol. :wink:

Mothman 03-23-2006 12:20 AM

I know what you mean just did a 2 hour cleaning of the engine yesterday!

When you wash your engine what areas do you cover? I am so afraid to damage any sensors, that I hand clean my engine with a brush and rag with window cleaner.

Mothman.

Platanos 03-23-2006 12:20 AM

spring fever is contagious...you should post some pics of your ti when you get the chance. I'm getting new emblems also.

Mothman 03-23-2006 12:31 AM

I have pictures load in my gallery it is just of the engine. Doing a full exterior detail tomorrow. I will take pictures then!

Mothman

Flava Flav 03-23-2006 01:13 AM

FLAVA FLAV just washed his car yesterday, YEAH BOY!!!
seriously though, I washed my car yesterday and the difference is extremely noticeable. if it was possible i'd make love to my car.

steelejared 03-23-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothman
I know what you mean just did a 2 hour cleaning of the engine yesterday!

When you wash your engine what areas do you cover? I am so afraid to damage any sensors, that I hand clean my engine with a brush and rag with window cleaner.

Mothman.

Others may see this as reckless: The car wash down the street has an engine cleaner setting that uses some kind of degreaser/soap at a low pressure. I spray it with that, without covering anything, and then rinse it with low pressure spot free rinse. Back in my garage, I use a towel to dry off any wet spots and wipe off any other dirt or grease. It usually looks great and clean apart from all that cosmoline all over everything.

halek 03-23-2006 05:48 PM

I usually spray my engine/bay with a degreaser & rinse off with a hosepipe. When everthing is completely dry, give the whole lot a dose of detailer, it really makes everthing look good + nourishes the rubber parts.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?4618

L84THSKY 03-23-2006 06:13 PM

I remember when I first went from my all season 205 15" wheels to Dunlop sport 8000 235 17" wheels. It was like night and day. With the 17"s , it feels like a go kart. Problem is the tires tend to get caught in the uneven areas of the pavement, and I get pulled side to side. All depends on if the road is smooth or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelejared
I was beginning to get used to the feel of the snow/ice tires which were, by comparison, a little mushy.

steelejared 03-24-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L84THSKY
I remember when I first went from my all season 205 15" wheels to Dunlop sport 8000 235 17" wheels. It was like night and day. With the 17"s , it feels like a go kart. Problem is the tires tend to get caught in the uneven areas of the pavement, and I get pulled side to side. All depends on if the road is smooth or not.

That's awesome. Isn't that pulling effect sometimes called trammeling? tramlining? (sp?).

I really felt the difference just going back to 205/55-15 all season tires as opposed to the 195/65-15 snow/ice tires. I can only imagine the improvement it would be to now go to lower profile stickier performance tires and even further eliminating all that sidewall flexing. I am now officially in the e-bay market for at least 16 inch wheels and tires and up to 17".

Maybe that will also help reduce my current inclination toward the new GTI.

aceyx 03-27-2006 07:47 AM

Anybody with fog lights that lives in an area where they salt roads might want to think about pulling them and removing the plastic bit to clean it.

I think it's been about 3 years since I had to change the bulb, but there was so much salt jammed up in there (1-2mm thick!) that I had to stick the thing in a vise to get it apart. The aluminum part is now soaking in some CLR, we'll see how it clears up.