318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   I'm thinking about buying a ti. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Possible 318ti buyer (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6287)

flyinace09 07-18-2005 07:14 PM

Possible 318ti buyer

I am living in the Concord area in MA, and after having a tragic death of my Jeep (everyday driver) I am looking at a 318ti for my next car. I like the car a lot... but I was wondering a few things:

1. Does the car have enough "kick" to it to keep you heppy when driving along? I came from a Jeep so I want something with a little more of a fun factor in it for my next work/school car.

2. Can a turbo kit be bought for the 318? I have read a lot about the DASC but I would rather turbo my car than to supercharge it.

3. I read a lot about M3 transplants from the E36 days... problem I see is that you are adding more weight for the car... would it be possible to transplant something like an E30 M3 Euro-spec engine in it? I can find a new engine like that for $2100.

I am looking right now at all the Ti's I can find in this area. I am looking specifically at the ones with a 5spd, the M package (otherwise I think it looks too dull) and most of them are in the 97-98 range. What can I do... what do you think?

Thanks a lot.
Alex

roadrash 07-18-2005 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinace09
I am looking specifically at the ones with a 5spd, the M package (otherwise I think it looks too dull) and most of them are in the 97-98 range.

What other features are you looking for... color, price range, etc.?? I've been shopping for a couple of months and I'd be glad to check my cache of info and see if anything matches what you're looking for. Of course, if what you're looking for is too close to what I'm looking for, I'll have to consider you "the competition" and obviously can't give you any leads in that case. ;}

Tyler 07-18-2005 09:22 PM

Quote:

I am living in the Concord area in MA, and after having a tragic death of my Jeep (everyday driver) I am looking at a 318ti for my next car. I like the car a lot... but I was wondering a few things:

1. Does the car have enough "kick" to it to keep you heppy when driving along? I came from a Jeep so I want something with a little more of a fun factor in it for my next work/school car.

2. Can a turbo kit be bought for the 318? I have read a lot about the DASC but I would rather turbo my car than to supercharge it.

3. I read a lot about M3 transplants from the E36 days... problem I see is that you are adding more weight for the car... would it be possible to transplant something like an E30 M3 Euro-spec engine in it? I can find a new engine like that for $2100.

I am looking right now at all the Ti's I can find in this area. I am looking specifically at the ones with a 5spd, the M package (otherwise I think it looks too dull) and most of them are in the 97-98 range. What can I do... what do you think?

Thanks a lot.
Alex

There was one in Lexington that i saw on Rt 2a about 2months ago. It was at a small dealership. I don't know if it's still there but it's the next city over from you.

flyinace09 07-19-2005 10:26 PM

Any leads would help... I don't want to spend more than $10,500 so I think I am limited to a few cars. Colors don't really bother me but I want it to be a manual, the Sport package (M-front and so-forth), and something less than 100k miles on it. I am very wide-openb about interior and exterior since the more picky I get the more limited I will be in results. I have only found 2 in this area (30 mile radius) so far on the web... so either I am not looking in the right place or thats all there is. I have been surfing autotrader.com and boston.com/cars (or cars.com with a different name) and thats all that has come up. Any more sites?

roadrash 07-19-2005 10:31 PM

Quote:

I have only found 2 in this area (30 mile radius) that I am interested in looking at.

Wow! :blink: I'd be happy to find 2 worth considering within a 300-mile radius!

96cali 07-19-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Any leads would help... I don't want to spend more than $10,500 so I think I am limited to a few cars. Colors don't really bother me but I want it to be a manual, the Sport package (M-front and so-forth), and something less than 100k miles on it. I am very wide-openb about interior and exterior since the more picky I get the more limited I will be in results. I have only found 2 in this area (30 mile radius) so far on the web... so either I am not looking in the right place or thats all there is. I have been surfing autotrader.com and boston.com/cars (or cars.com with a different name) and thats all that has come up. Any more sites?

You have a great 1998 for less than 8k near you with a cali roof. called on it last night. It's in the boston area. I'd jump on it if I were you. Look on cars.com.

CirrusSR22 07-19-2005 10:53 PM

As far as the swap goes, a 6-cylinder with a 5-Speed only weighs about 50 lbs. more that the stock engine with an automatic. The auto tranny is just plain heavier.

Never seen a turbo kit for the M42/M44. But then again, I've never looked :D

As far a "kick" goes, you will not be happy with an auto, so thankfully you're getting a 5 speed. I've driven both and there's definitely a difference.