318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   HVAC (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   blower motor resistor?? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2279)

Sunday 01-20-2003 11:46 PM

Hello,

I have a 1997 318ti that has a bad blower motor resistor. I have narrowed it down (checked the switch, control module etc.) and that is the only other thing it can be. My problem is I can't find the resistor. It is not in the same location as the manual shows for the E36 coupes. Anybody know where it is located in the car?

Thanks,
Sunday

first_bmw 11-01-2005 05:13 AM

Sunday...

You ever find the location of this ?!?

I have had almost the entire dash out and can not find it.
Please assist if possible.

bmwkru 09-17-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunday (Post 470)
Hello,

I have a 1997 318ti that has a bad blower motor resistor. I have narrowed it down (checked the switch, control module etc.) and that is the only other thing it can be. My problem is I can't find the resistor. It is not in the same location as the manual shows for the E36 coupes. Anybody know where it is located in the car?

Thanks,
Sunday

I have been trying to locate this also. Can anyone give a tip as to where it is located.

TIA

oakley 09-12-2007 02:17 PM

Old thread I knw but anyone found it yet? My cars in bits at he moment looking??

Jean H.318TI 09-12-2007 04:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
this pics show the location

oakley 09-12-2007 06:00 PM

Cheers chap, i did however have to ask the dealer in the end..Thengot into there and found out the part they ordered for me was the wrong bit!! If u had to do the same bit can u just confirm did ur resistor look like a small piece of computer mother board with a metal sort of capital C stuck on it?! Sorry crap description but guessing if u changed it u'llknow wot i mean!!

Jean H.318TI 09-12-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oakley (Post 134558)
Cheers chap, i did however have to ask the dealer in the end..Thengot into there and found out the part they ordered for me was the wrong bit!! If u had to do the same bit can u just confirm did ur resistor look like a small piece of computer mother board with a metal sort of capital C stuck on it?! Sorry crap description but guessing if u changed it u'llknow wot i mean!!

yeah is that one but i didn't changed i just change the microfilters

oakley 09-12-2007 06:16 PM

Cool ta, i followed the guide for a standard e36 (where its under the dash,,grr spent 4 hrs searching for it!!) Then found the bit they gave me was for a saloon..its completely different..actually looks like it does something with wires and springs and bits but this thing just looks odd!! Oh well guess i just gotta wait for the dealer to get me the right bit now! Appreciate the help

Jean H.318TI 09-12-2007 06:17 PM

no problem dude

mreroc 04-12-2012 08:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Question on the blower resistor. Ordered the part and followed the DIY on here. The blower resistor I got from Pelican was the same described in the post above and pictured in the DIY, and pictured in this post. However, when I got behind the filter, the blower resistor was not the same (also picture in this post) and looked like the one mentioned in the post above described as being the wrong one. I didn't pull it out yet and figured I'd post here first. Few questions.

Am I looking at the wrong part somehow; this was located behind the driver side cabin filter?

Can I take the current one out and replace with the new one?

Am I ordering a different blower resistor tomorrow?

Also, for anyone who did this fix, were you able to fit your hand or tool in there just removing the filter, air collector, and baffle and pushing the wire channel assembly around? Did you have to remove anything else?

Thanks for any input.

oakley 04-12-2012 11:33 AM

Hard to tell from the picture but yeah does have the look of a resistor- no the big C shaped one won't fit- there a few different types of blower resistor depending in age, model, air con/ no air con etc etc..
Search in the DIY section I did a step by step for doing this- should still be there (don't get on here as much as I should now)

mreroc 04-12-2012 04:16 PM

Thanks. I used your DIY until the pieces didn't match. I'll go ahead and find the correct resistor.

oakley 04-12-2012 05:04 PM

Realoem should help- failing that call the dealer.. Or take the existing one out an find the model number on it- thats wot I had to do in the end as tge dealer kept getting the part wrong- in the end just took old one in and made sure he knew exactly what it was before ordering an waiting a few days for yet another wrong part!!

oakley 04-12-2012 05:13 PM

An ur right- urs certainly looks a bit tighter to get too- hard to work out the camera angle but I certainly didn't gave the metal pipes going across that urs appears to have (wiper control arms?? Air con pipes??) hard to see from the pics.. Mine was tight enough to get my hand in but with the stuff u have in front could take some patience!!

mreroc 04-12-2012 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably bad angle. Those are the wiper arms and I get around them, more just the size of the compartment itself and not recognizing the piece. Here's a closer photo. I'll get the new piece and be done before 100 degree weather hits Phx. Thanks for the DIY.