318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Induction (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   DASC install questions (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38092)

pred 03-10-2013 10:46 AM

DASC install questions

OK the weather is warming here in Phila Pa and I have a 97 318ti, Active car and a new DASC kit to install on the car.
Car is used a couple times a week and is free and clear of any leaks or mechanical woes, Runs and drives perfect. Has new water pump, Rad and a full BMW dealer cooling system tune up just a few thousand miles age from the previous owner,
SO.
Before I install this DASC thingie M Bob,,
Is there something I should know or parts I should buy to have on hand for this install?
I would like to do install in one day if at all possible,
Any advice is appreciated !
If anyone has done one and wants to come over and help that would be great too:smile::smile::smile:
I am hoping that in two weeks from today I will be installing the kit,,
My only Peppy car is getting a new home, So the BMW has to step it up and be peppier.
Peter

cmoore 03-10-2013 12:45 PM

watch

i have nothing to offer you knowledge-wise regarding the DASC install but would be willing to help and observe. (will eventually get a DASC or do a motor swap)

pred 03-10-2013 01:03 PM

I have to work outdoors is why the warm weather is welcomed.
Some other items I have for the car are,
2.93 Limited slip rear and axles,
I would figure I will need a clutch in the near future:eek:
I've got a good selection of tools and a NIB DASC kit, Complete in box waiting,
Any special tools needed?
Any "While I am in there parts" I should order ?
I have a $70 credit from Rock Auto I would like to use up.
Peter

cmoore 03-10-2013 02:37 PM

NIB?

where did you come up with a NIB DASC? i am new to BMW, but seems like they have been gone/out of production for a while? very jealous.

pred 03-10-2013 02:48 PM

Popped up for sale locally several months back.
I got lucky,
Most say that popping a 6 Cyl in may be the best bang for the buck.
I am unsure as what to do but I am tired of looking at this DASC and want to do something,
Maybe sell it and buy a S52 engine or something?
All I know is my 318ti gets 30-34 Mph highway with 3.43 rear and hoping that with the DASC and the 2.93 rear I will get nearly the same MPG..
VS a 6 cyl swap.
Maybe someone can chime in on that one,
Peter

BlackBMWs 03-10-2013 06:16 PM

Hi Peter! I remember that sale, congrats on picking it up as I was #2 on the list behind you! :rolleyes:

I have since acquired a used DASC as well for my 97 and have collected all the "kit parts" short of the hoses. I'll be doing the base DA install at this phase. Reading a bunch on various installs and tips for both TI and Z3 installations. Similar installs with some differences.

Wondering if an insulating intake manifold spacer is worth making/acquiring at this point while I'm collecting parts. I've read pros/cons. Anyway, perhaps we will do a East Coast/West Coast DASC install on our 97's. PM me if you'd like to trade notes.

Cheers :cool:

mtlblue 03-11-2013 02:54 AM

I just printed my dasc install manual this week, you'd want to refresh the cooling system's plastic parts from behind the cyl head and beneath the fuel rail at least. Read that you have to drain the coolant anyways and the parts will be very accessible at this point. The install seems pretty straight foward, a quick look through the manual will point this out. Have fun!