318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exterior (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Undercarriage Plastic Guard (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2994)

bella2179 03-26-2004 02:00 AM

I just noticed today that plastic guard under the radiator (underneath) is coming off...completely off on 1 side. Must of gone over something and almost pulled it off. How do I fix this??? Replacement part #? Any suggestions would be great.

98ti Black M-Badge

1996 328ti 03-26-2004 02:23 AM

I bet you have more broken than just that. They aren't secured very well. You might want to use screws with large fender washers if you need to replace anything that requires being secured with a screw. Check the plastic inside the wheel wells too.

I don't have part numbers in front of me but they are not expensive.

J!m 04-02-2004 04:30 PM

I reccomend the original fastners or zip-ties as they will break away as designed by BMW.

The plastic screws used are there so they break away rather than ripping other (more expensive) stuff off...

bella2179 04-06-2004 12:49 AM

thank you for the help...now the entire part has come off, so now must replace the whole thing!!

random 08-03-2004 07:58 PM

this piece has come off my car twice now. anyone know what its there for and will it hurt anything if i just take it off?

318tibimmer 08-03-2004 10:01 PM

It won't hurt anything, I have had mine off for about 2 years. It is actually part of an air dam for the intake. I took all of mine off when I went to a CIA that sits down behind the Drivers side foglight. there is probibly about 10lbs of plasic that can be removed if you do a CAI, including the big piece of plastic that keeps falling off.

aceyx 09-01-2004 11:39 PM

i've had this piece come off on both ti's that i've owned. on the first, a stray rock from the road bounced up, and punctured the a/c compressor resulting in about $300 damage (new compressor, install labor, etc). but my wrench seemed very surprised since it's a very long shot in the dark for that to occur.

on the newer ti, same thing happened, but this time it took out the plastic parts the tray mounts to (the half rubber, half plastic curtains surrounding the radiator) and i've left it off. it's been . . . over 80k miles with no problems.

Dusty 09-28-2004 03:47 PM

Undercarriage plastic guard...

Yea, I had the same problem when I ran through a low dip in the road and slammed my frond end, both my fog covers popped out and the plastic tray had nearly broken off. I gentleman at a filling station told me that it was hang down on the ground and if he hadn't done that I would have driven about 150 to 200 miles headed home with it like that. It is just a guard to block any road debris, rocks, pieces of truck tires, etc. from flying up into the radiator and fan area doing furthur damage to the car. I just used a couple of medium sized zip ties to re-anchor the side that had come off and then I had reinforced the remaining portion that connets to the wheel well with some washer screws, so far it is still hanging in there since July when I had the incident.

ddiorio1313 09-28-2004 04:13 PM

Carefull about going through standing or running water aswell...I crossed a road that had about 8 or so inches of water running across it, and the force of the water combined with the speed of my car actually ripped some kind of heat shield/rock guard thing right off the exhaust. I bet it could have ripped other things off aswell! The force of water is amazing...