318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   I'm thinking about buying a ti. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Buyers Guide - What to look for. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5137)

1996 328ti 04-11-2005 04:42 AM

Buyers Guide - What to look for.

This is not meant to scare anyone off who is interested in purchasing a 318ti but to help them make an informed decision. Most problems are easily repairable. The models pertain to the US.

Skip go and go directly to post 31.

1995 M42 1.8L engine
  • Clubsport
  • Base
  • Active
  • Sport
1996 - 1998 M44 1.9L engine
  • Base
  • Active
  • Sport
1999 M44 1.9L
  • Sport
Known problems
  • Window regulators
  • Peeling tape on B pillars (1995-1997)
  • Headliner coming loose
This first message will be edited as time goes on.

96cali 04-11-2005 06:12 PM

Brilliant! Don't forget ball joints, control arms, rear shock mounts all at certain milage (?).

Thanks Steve!

1996 328ti 04-11-2005 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96cali
Brilliant! Don't forget ball joints, control arms, rear shock mounts all at certain milage (?).

Thanks Steve!

Well those are things to check in any car. I suppose we can include it but I'd rather be ti specific. If someone has a url for what to look for in E36s, I'd include that.

angel318ti 07-28-2005 09:49 PM

I have owned a 318ti (96) for a little more than 3 years now. I can honestly say that this car is one of the best that I have ever owned. I have spent more time and money customizing than doing repairs to keep it running. Very low maintenanace and very practical. The only repair that I have had to make were my radiator(Thermostat froze shut and cracked the radiator) and the rear shock bushings. A very reliable car and worth every cent!

not2fast 09-20-2005 02:33 PM

So what 5 things should I look for when I am looking at a 318ti?

The headliner is a no brainer. I will test the windows. When do the bushing and ball joints go out?

96ti 10-31-2005 09:28 AM

look for cracked thermostat housing. That thing is plastic and may be cracked at a certain mileage. but that thing is very easy to repair. Only cost me around $50 for parts; I did it myself. If you are not a kind of DIY person, it may cost you a coupe hundreds.

aceyx 10-31-2005 08:22 PM

96; did it actually crack on you or was this preventative maintenance?

madfronter 10-31-2005 09:25 PM

So far I've replaced my camshaft speed sensor, both oxygen sensors, controll arms and balljoints, halfshafts, rear wheel bearings, clutch, I'm about to change the ignition wires and the tensioner pulleys for the AC, waterpump and alternator. I think that's all I've done so far.

wazzu70 02-02-2006 10:08 PM

One thing to include in this post is the difference between the base, active, and sport models. Things like if all came with LSD, leather ect. For a noob to these cars this is the post I would look in to find that kind of information.

Zane-O 05-10-2006 08:40 PM

Difference between models - active, sport, m-tech etc

Hey,

I agree, I really want to know what the difference is between the various models. I've done searches on this forum, and still haven't found it.

I was about to make a separate post, but did a last search, and found this one...

So, I'll wait and see if this gets answered.

Edit: Hmm... I did just find this which gives an answer: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...ference+models

Thanks,

Zane-O

ALAINEPJ 07-12-2006 02:50 PM

What milage for shock mounts? I have had my 96 sport since 2001 and at ~150k I replaced motor mounts, and window regulator, and at 180k was the first time I needed rear shocks. Maint has been pricey at times - but worth it!

andyman7931 07-12-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALAINEPJ
What milage for shock mounts? I have had my 96 sport since 2001 and at ~150k I replaced motor mounts, and window regulator, and at 180k was the first time I needed rear shocks. Maint has been pricey at times - but worth it!

I replace shock mounts whenever I replace shocks since they're cheap and you're in there anyway. I've seen rear mounts fail (even new ones) so if they break you'll replace them sooner anyway

ALAINEPJ 07-12-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman7931
I replace shock mounts whenever I replace shocks since they're cheap and you're in there anyway. I've seen rear mounts fail (even new ones) so if they break you'll replace them sooner anyway

Thanks!! :smile:

SporTi 08-15-2006 08:27 AM

B-pillars

So are the B-pillars on the door supposed to be taped out black? I've seen them both ways. Mine are body color. If black, can I get the "tape" or should I simply get a can of trim paint?

Etienne 08-15-2006 08:02 PM

It was mentioned before, but I think the window regulator, though apparently a general E36 issue, would be worth giving prospective buyers a heads up about -- perhaps just to let them know it isn't that big of a deal to fix so they don't get upset.

I'm not sure if its worth mentioning, as its probably just normal wear, but the rear hatch struts tend to have some issues (at least on the 2 cars I have owned).

What about the steering column..? Something with a coil in the steering column making noise when you turn the wheel all the way (i.e. parking). This is an easy thing to check in a test drive.

Airbag sensor thing under the passenger seat?

crow13pro 04-14-2007 09:40 PM

As mentioned, the window regulators are an issue to watch (replaced 2X_). I have a '99 sport ti and love it. Regular maintainance is a must. The fog lamps tend to crack inexplicably at times (an E36 problem in general)...use BAV protectors. I had the passenger air bag seat sensor go out under warranty; and one of the engine mounts come loose under warranty. Front ball joints will need to be replaced. Brakes are outstanding. Handling is great; manual transmission is fun and adds more "pep" to the car. The practicality of the hatchback was a real selling point for me. The sport model interior is an upgrade; larger wheels and tires; stiffer suspension; "M" front and rear fascias with side mouldings; "M" 3-spoke steering wheel. One other thing, my radio had to be replaced, the toggle for the CD/radio selector became inoperative....so check that out. Check for valve cover gasket leaks.

3DGE 04-14-2007 09:56 PM

Damn the headliner, how do i get it sticking back on the cealing?

sanantonioch 04-17-2007 07:08 PM

I want to know which model years came with an LSD.

Thanks.

sanantonioch 06-01-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanantonioch (Post 116399)
I want to know which model years came with an LSD.

Thanks.

Still looking to find out what years came with an LSD in them. Looking at buying a 99 sport (has the M front and rear bumbers, side moldings, and 3 spoke steering wheel). Please help.

Thanks.

BleMW 06-01-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angel318ti (Post 30167)
I have owned a 318ti (96) for a little more than 3 years now. I can honestly say that this car is one of the best that I have ever owned. I have spent more time and money customizing than doing repairs to keep it running. Very low maintenanace and very practical. The only repair that I have had to make were my radiator(Thermostat froze shut and cracked the radiator) and the rear shock bushings. A very reliable car and worth every cent!

i agree - waterpump was my problem for a while (and thermostat)

i've rebuilt my tranny and had a waterpump problem for a while (besides that pesky window problem)

but i'ts very low maintenance!! love it love it love it

bmvw 03-14-2008 02:22 AM

How many have had the ignition keylock issue (not sure if 318ti-specific or not)

8thcivic 10-17-2008 06:17 AM

im looking for a 318ti and found one but it says it has 209k and a whining sound coming from engine. guy says its idler pulley. but whats the worst case scenario? engine was also rebuilt due to overheating before.

jordanmc 10-17-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmvw (Post 160475)
How many have had the ignition keylock issue (not sure if 318ti-specific or not)

that is how i found this forum
I came home late one night, pulled the key out of my car and the engine kept running.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8540&page=4
check out billkirk's reply, its what saved my rear end

PHX64 06-05-2009 08:55 PM

Has anyone any opinions on Aircon re-gassing?

Mine's hotter on than it is off!?!

Thanks.

Phx64

Maverix 06-05-2009 09:19 PM

Plastic coolant pieces?

dakotabmr 04-29-2010 06:28 PM

ASC

New member looking at a 318ti for my daughter. Is ACS available/standard on 94-96 models? Thanks

tiFreak 04-30-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotabmr (Post 269169)
New member looking at a 318ti for my daughter. Is ACS available/standard on 94-96 models? Thanks

in 96 ACS was an option, by 97 it was standard, before that you couldn't get it

ovrsteer 06-02-2010 11:08 PM

As it turns out 318Tis are a little rare :(

... but to help the above questions i suggest you visit the differential section for more info

krowten 07-16-2011 12:50 AM

Ive owned my 99 ti for about a year thought i was the only one had to fix the driver side regulator 4x now luckly the shop i take it to just charged me once .

jca 07-16-2011 01:33 AM

I think that the fragile cooling system is worth mentioning, especially the two plastic water pipes, one behind the the head and the firewall, and the other underneath in intake.

cooljess76 07-16-2011 01:38 AM

- Are you the original owner? If not, how many owners has it had and how many of the miles have you personally put on the car?
- Has the vehicle ever been in an accident?
- Was the catalytic converter replaced under BMW's recall?
- Was the HVAC cable addressed under BMW's recall?
- What does "adult driven" really mean? Are you saying that it's never been over 65mph or 4000 rpm?
- Has the vehicle ever been smoked in? If I were to look inside of the cigarette lighter, is it brand new?
- Have all of the cooling system components been replaced? Thermostat? Water pump? Radiator? Plastic coolant fitting on the driver's side of the engine block? Plastic coolant fitting on the back of the cylinder head? Radiator hoses? BMW coolant?
- Does the oil filter housing or spark plug seals leak? Spark plug holes are completely dry and free of oil? No oil on the lower front of the engine block?
- Does the headliner sag over the back seat and cargo area?
- Are the headlight lenses foggy, hazy, pitted or yellow?
- Do the mini bulbs located behind the headlight and foglight switches still light up?
- Is the factory toolkit complete?
- Has the spare tire been replaced and maintained?
- What condition are the tires and brakes in?
- Does the parking brake hold firm halfway through the lever's stroke?
- Have the windows ever fallen off track or regulator arms ever popped out of the plastic sliders?
- Have the interior door panels ever been removed for any reason and if so, are all of the retaining clips intact and affixed to the backside of the panel?
- Do the mirrors have any bronzing around the edges?
- Does the factory airbox still have the sound deadening foam inside of it?
- Has the differential oil ever been changed?
- Have the brake and power steering fluids ever been flushed?
- Oxygen sensors replaced?
- Have the rear subframe bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, differential bushing, front control arm bushings, rear shock mounts, front strut bearings, ball joints and tie rods, cv boots ever been replaced?
- Original clutch?
- Does the shifter have any slop in it?
- A/C blow cold air?
- Heater blow hot air?
- Is the climate knob stiff or difficult to turn?
- Do the hatch struts hold when it's cold outside?
- Is the driver's lower seat bolster worn?
- Has the check engine light or SRS(airbag) light ever came on?
- Has the temperature gauge ever went above 12 o'clock? Ever, even for a few seconds?
- Was the factory radio harness cut to install the aftermarket radio or was an adapter harness used?
- Do you still have the factory radio?
- Are the plastic windshield cowl trim pieces grey, dry or cracking?
- How about the outside weather stripping at the base of the side windows, specifically above the door handles?
- Antenna grommet dry or cracked?
- Do the windshield washer nozzles and mirrors heat up?
- Does the rear windshied washer nozzle spray?
- Is the rear parcel shelf faded or purple?
- Are all 4 of the rubber jack pads still in place underneath the car?
- Is the the plastic underpanel and brake ducts still in place and intact attached to the front bumper?
- Does the front bumper still have the "luxury" slats and if so are they cracked or damaged in any way?
- Foglights cracked?
- Do you have pets?
- What do YOU consider a "Genuine BMW Enthusiast"? BMWCCA member? How many BMW's have you owned?

dangerous_goods 05-14-2012 01:56 AM

Just bought a 1996 318ti

So glad this forum exists and this thread among so many others I've just started reading. Thanks!

jca 05-14-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DGE (Post 116076)

You don't...and believe me, I tried. Replacing the headliner is a very doable DIY project.

tones 03-25-2013 04:53 PM

Awesome list looking at a 318ti in a few hours glad i have some more questions to ask

bmwme 08-22-2014 04:29 AM

What's the going rate for a Ti with 150k miles?

shibao 12-06-2014 04:32 AM

Brilliant!I agree with you!

jca 12-07-2014 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DGE (Post 116076)

You don't...at least not and have it look decent. I just recovered mine. Materials will cost you less than $100 and if you take your time the result will look great. Cheers, John

DarkKn1ght 05-17-2015 06:26 PM

How many miles is too many for a 318ti?

1996 328ti 05-17-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkKn1ght (Post 373348)
How many miles is too many for a 318ti?

Depends on the service history and past failures.

6cyl 01-08-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 305028)
- Are you the original owner? If not, how many owners has it had and how many of the miles have you personally put on the car?
- Has the vehicle ever been in an accident?
- Was the catalytic converter replaced under BMW's recall?
- Was the HVAC cable addressed under BMW's recall?
- What does "adult driven" really mean? Are you saying that it's never been over 65mph or 4000 rpm?
- Has the vehicle ever been smoked in? If I were to look inside of the cigarette lighter, is it brand new?...
- Foglights cracked?
- Do you have pets?
- What do YOU consider a "Genuine BMW Enthusiast"? BMWCCA member? How many BMW's have you owned?

I made an easy to print check list of this for any one interested: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing