PDA

View Full Version : Knock Sensor - Help please

esbart
02-07-2005, 11:49 PM
I have a 95ti automatic, and the idling goes up and down, around 1200 rpm then will dip very low and stalls at stops. I pulled the code and it's the Knock Sensor 3&4, I need help how to replace this sensor and what are the other incidental parts I need aside from the sensor. Thanks for any input you can give me.

ClubSport
02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Are you sure it's the knock sensor? What was the code and how did you pull it? The gas pedal method? This sounds a lot like a sticky idle control valve, which is a much cheaper fix if it's just sticky because of carbon buildup.

esbart
02-08-2005, 06:55 PM
I used Peake R5/fcx to pull the code and it's 2A. I also pulled out the Idle Control Valve and cleaned it, the clicking sound is more distinctive now when engine is running. Checked also resistance on throttle valve sensor, coolant temp sensor which were all ok. Sometimes I can't pull any codes after it stalls. The car runs good and doesn't stall while I am driving it. The only ones I have not checked are camshaft position sensor and crankshaft sensor. Is the gas pedal method to pull codes more accurate?

ClubSport
02-08-2005, 08:15 PM
I've just never heard of a code 4A on a 95 (OBDI). I've only heard of 4 digit numbers.

This link explains how to do the gas pedal method and details each fault code http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/Mult-Code_Reading/Mult-Code_Reading.htm

To read codes for an OBD I car, you start by turning the ignition key on (do not start the engine) and pressing the gas pedal to the floor five times within a period of five seconds. If you proceeded correctly, then the check engine lamp will light on for five seconds, then blink off, then blink on for 2.5 seconds, and then go off for another 2.5 seconds. After this, the computer will start to show you the trouble fault codes that are stored.

esbart
02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
The 2A code was from Peake diagnostic gadget, the code from gas pedal method was 1226 knock sensor 2.

azs318ti
02-15-2005, 05:18 PM
i have hat same problem, i did the test and it came up as konck sensor 2 as well. i have only found one knock sensor for 95 ti's so i was planning on replacing tha tpart ( taking off teh manifold to do so).. I don tknow if that will solve the problem. Also my car seems to lack tourqe at times but then have it back after sitting for a while i can texplain this.. perhaps a drivetrain issue im not sure. any help would be great

esbart
02-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I found one of the knock sensor, it's under the oil filter sensor. This must be the knock sensor for cyl 1 & 2, I am still looking for the other one and it looks like it is located very close to the starter. When you buy this sensor, it says 2 per car, so there must be 2 sensors. Anyone who had done this replacement, please clarify the locations of these sensors. Thanks.

BMWDRIFTER
02-16-2005, 05:41 AM
the second is close to the starter. If you have a scan tool that shows data you can see when the knock sensor is retarding the timing. Too be able to pull codes is nice, but watching the live data helps to pinpoint the problem much easier.

esbart
02-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Pulled out upper and lower intake manifold and replaced both knock sensors, replaced also lower intake manifold gasket. It was a pain pulling out the lower intake, because of the main wiring harness. I was able to pull it just off the bolts and put a piece of wood between the block and lower intake. I used a long extension to unscrew the knock sensor for Cyl 3&4 and then replaced the gasket. Car is idling fine now, thank you for all your inputs.

robcarync
04-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I just scanned my car today...because i was trying to reset the oil lights....but i accidnetlly hit Fc to scan fault codes, and i have this same code. (2A)

Can anyone elaborate on where it is located, how to get to it, where to get the part, and maybe how much the part costs?

im not a super experience mechanic, but i learn quickly because my car breaks all the time...so im hoping id be able to do this myself...