PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs Question

schussey
06-13-2004, 04:48 AM
I think it is about time to change my spark plugs, what is the torx setting on to change them? Also- I have heard that a certain kind of bosch plugs (platnium maybe?) are not good for the e36.

So any that you would recommend? Thanks for the help :D

brucelee
06-13-2004, 03:09 PM
I think it is about time to change my spark plugs, what is the torx setting on to change them? Also- I have heard that a certain kind of bosch plugs (platnium maybe?) are not good for the e36.

So any that you would recommend? Thanks for the help :D

Just did this.

According to BMW parts dept.

1-hand tighten plugs and then on quarter turn with wrench.

2-NGK instead of Bosch. They say Bosch caused issues and the switch was made to NGK for this motor.

Car runs fine, whole process took about 10 minutes but you need a 10 inch or so extension for your socket set.

Good luck.

schussey
06-13-2004, 03:35 PM
thanks!

2ndBimmer
06-13-2004, 06:32 PM
I really didnt notice much difference when switching from NGKs with 90000 miles on them to brand new bosch platinum +4s.
Bosch platinums did wonders on my old car (M10) but nothing much on the M44.

schussey
06-13-2004, 07:47 PM
i have heard a few horror stories about the bosch platnium +4s though

2ndBimmer
06-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Perhaps I should go back to NGKs...

Stomp
08-27-2004, 11:06 AM
I am ready to replace the plugs on my 95'TI myself. I just installed a Nitrous kit on the car. I've heard rumor that I should not use Multi-electrode plugs with Nitrous. Has anyone heard a similiar story?
I ordered NGK plugs, and am ready to install. I am just waiting to hear back from anyone about this.
Is it OK to use NGK double electrode plugs with Nitrous???

Thanks.

L84THSKY
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
I just replaced my spark plugs. Bought the car two weeks ago, decided to do a mini tune-up. The plugs that were in the car were NGK, and I replaced them with Bosch platinum 4's. It does seem to idle alittle rough, but it idled alittle rough before. I think it might be idling even worse now. Maybe I should go back to NGK.

Eric

i have heard a few horror stories about the bosch platnium +4s though

GDB
09-28-2004, 05:01 PM
From my past experience:
Bosch = Crap
NGK = Good

On A side note, does anyone know the PN for the NGK plugs. Also PN for colder plugs. I did a quick search on here and bfc, but didn't fing anything for the M44, just thought it would be some good info to have, thanks.

Oh yeah, Stomp, NGK singles should work just fine with nitrous.

L84THSKY
09-30-2004, 05:19 PM
I threw out my NGK's, what is the model #?

From my past experience:
Bosch = Crap
NGK = Good

On A side note, does anyone know the PN for the NGK plugs. Also PN for colder plugs. I did a quick search on here and bfc, but didn't fing anything for the M44, just thought it would be some good info to have, thanks.

Oh yeah, Stomp, NGK singles should work just fine with nitrous.

2ndBimmer
09-30-2004, 11:28 PM
Ive not been too happy with Bosch Platinum +4's. Barely any improvement over NGK's with 115000 miles.

Ill be moving back to NGK's in the near future.

Guy Massey
12-28-2004, 10:30 AM
So, what is the correct spark plug (gap) setting?

Also, what is the largest (tallest) tyre (tire), as in height not width, I can fit to a standard wheel on a stantard 318ti?

(I had to ask the second question here because I couldn't find how to post a new question.)

Dusty
12-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Where can I purchase some NGK's, I believe I am in need of a tune up, I am quickly approaching 174,000 mi. on my ti. Also should I change my wires and coil pack?

biorjin
03-30-2006, 08:55 PM
autozone, napa. just walk in and tell the model of your car and ask for NGK spark plug

aceyx
03-31-2006, 03:36 AM
Heh. biorjin, you may want to check the date of posts before you reply :biggrin:

bullmand
03-31-2006, 05:36 AM
After a very bad experience with aftermarket plugs, I'll be sticking with the factory recommended plug. There are four part numbers for the M44.
First:
BOSCH F 7 LDCR
NGK BKR 6 EK

Then this happened:
TIS SI 12 05 98 (368)
Apparently this involved some sort of change to the recommended plug. I've never seen the actual bulletin, but I think it had something to do with the rough idle. So, now we have new parts listed as high power:

BOSCH FGR7DQP
NGK BKR6EQUP

If anyone has more isight into the difference between the originals and the high powers, I'd love to know what it's all about.
Thanks.

bullmand
03-31-2006, 05:40 AM
So, what is the correct spark plug (gap) setting?

Guy,
I'm not sure about the NGKs, but all the Bosch plugs come with the correct gap or they don't need to be gapped.

Boxbrownie
03-31-2006, 08:47 AM
The high power plugs when i replaced mine where the same spec as used in the V8 M5........sort I bought a set for that vehicle and it worked out a bit cheaper than two sets for the M44.........fine by me!

Both makes of plugs are set, and should not be gapped...unless you drop one on th garage floor and f**k it up! :eek:

Best regards David